Basketball

Five burning questions

The University of Miami men’s basketball team will make their much-anticipated 2008-2009 debut Saturday at the BankUnited Center against Florida Southern. With the start of the regular season right around the corner, here are five burning questions that should ultimately determine this team’s fate:

5) Who is going to step up and be the number two shooter on this team?

We all know senior and First-Team All-ACC member Jack McClinton is the go-to guy, but which sharp shooters will be the two of the one-two punch from the perimeter?

Junior James Dews, senior Lance Hurdle and senior Brian Asbury are all candidates.

Dews’ signature shot is the three-pointer from the corner. He was second on the team in points per game last year.

Hurdle handled the ball very well last year and was a great mentor for the point guard of the future, Eddie Rios. Hurdle needs to work on driving the ball to the basket.

Asbury is due for a breakout year. He averaged 8.8 points per game and 4.1 rebounds per game. He will likely be the first off the bench this year.

4)  How will this team handle all the hype?

Many sports outlets have afforded the basketball team more attention than the football team. Last year Miami was predicted to finish last in the ACC. This year, they are predicted to finish fourth behind perennial powerhouses North Carolina, Duke and Wake Forest. In every major preseason poll they are ranked in the top 25.

3) How will this team handle a much tougher schedule?

There are not many cupcake games for the Hurricanes this season. They could potentially play UConn and Wisconsin in the Paradise Jam Tournament. The Canes play Ohio State at home in the Big Ten/ACC challenge and travel to the prestigious Rupp Arena to take on Kentucky. UM rounds out their nonconference schedule by traveling to the world’s most famous arena, Madison Square Garden, where they will battle St. Johns.

Additionally, Miami will once again have its hands full in conference play. The ACC is arguably the toughest conference in college basketball. Miami plays UNC twice and Duke once.

2) Which Dwayne Collins will show up?

Dwayne Collins was consistently inconsistent last year. He showed flashes of brilliance, such as when he emphatically dunked on Kyle Singler and in being an integral part of Miami’s biggest win last season – registering 26 points and 14 rebounds in a thrilling 96-95 win over Duke. There were also games when Collins’ name was barely on the stat sheet. He only had four double-doubles on the season and is going to need to step up, because losing center Anthony King creates a big void in the paint. King led the Hurricanes in rebounds and shot blocks, and “DC” is going to have to pick up the slack.

1) How far can Jack McClinton carry this team?

We all know that McClinton is the heart and soul of this team. Nicknamed “McClutchin,” for his ability to score when his team needs him the most, he has the capability to make a shot from anywhere on the basketball court. He was second in the ACC in three point field goal percentage and shot a league high 91.9 percent from the free throw line last year. He scored a career-high 38 points in the first round win in the NCAA tournament against St. Mary’s. He decided to come back for his senior season and has only one goal in mind: to win a national championship.

Justin Antweil

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...