Dear V

Dear V: What to do when I can’t separate the gay from the straight?

I am a gay student and I am looking for a boyfriend on campus. The problem is that the type of guy I’m attracted to is usually straight. I don’t have problems with people knowing that I am gay, I just do not know how to approach guys that I am interested in. Am I going to be a virgin forever? 

~Hopeless Guy 

Dear Hopeless Guy, 

No, I highly doubt you’ll be a virgin forever. There’s nothing wrong in waiting for the right person and the right time. In fact, getting to the point where you do actually lose your virginity is half the fun. Don’t get down on yourself and don’t lose all hope. On the contrary, you have everything to look forward to and nothing to lose (okay, maybe one thing to lose)!

Describing yourself as hopeless may sound accurate to you now, but why? Why does being single and a virgin make you feel so discouraged? I bet you’re a wonderful guy and I bet anybody would be lucky to date you. Believe that about yourself and other people will notice it too.

I have learned through personal experience and by watching other people that if you focus entirely on finding a boyfriend, you end up achieving the opposite. Be yourself, be confident, and one day you’ll meet a guy who’s just right for you.

I know I sound like the corniest inspirational speaker ever, but it’s true. Put yourself out there without expecting to meet “The One.” I find that when you expect something to happen, you limit yourself to just that version of what could be. Sometimes it’s impossible to imagine what’s waiting for you. So don’t box yourself in. Do what you like to do, hang out with people who interest you, and don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.

The easiest way to learn how to approach a guy you like is by approaching everyone. Talk to new people every day just for the sake of it. This way, you’ll expand your guy-searching horizon and maybe you’ll end up with new friends! Once you’re used to doing this, going up to a guy you like will no longer seem so daunting. After all, he is just a guy and you are just saying hello.

I don’t want to belabor the point; you get the picture. You’ll get there. Just enjoy the ride ‘til then! (And enjoy “the ride” when you get there.)

Advice Columnist

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Dear V: What to do when I can’t separate the gay from the straight?”

1. Winston says:

Dear Hopeless Guy,

I agree with V. You should take a chance and put yourself out there. Who knows, the guy(s) you like might feel the same way. Maybe it’s not wise to come on strong, but if you make an effort to know someone and they feel the same way about you, it’s usually obvious. Good luck!

– W

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...