Sports Briefs

Miami wins final exhibition game

Senior guard Jack McClinton, recently named to the Wooden Preseason List which honors the nation’s top collegiate player, led the Hurricanes with a game-high 17 points in a 76-43 preseason victory against Barry University on Saturday evening at the BankUnited Center.

The 16th-ranked Canes host Florida Southern to open up the regular season at 7 p.m. Saturday.

Canes hold off Buccaneers

Freshman Shenise Johnson scored 16 points, nine of which came in the second half, as Miami won its final exhibition game 52-49 against Barry on Saturday afternoon at the BankUnited Center.

The Hurricanes begin the regular season at noon Friday as they host Norfolk State.

Sophomore point guard Epiphany Woodson discovered shin splints caused a stress fracture in her left leg and she could miss up to a month.

On Thursday night, senior forward Lamese James and freshman guard Riquana Williams were involved in an accident when a bus hit their car near Dadeland Mall. They were released from the hospital that night and are not expected to miss significant time.

Hurricanes win second straight home meet

The University of Miami swimming and diving team (5-3) got first place in each event Saturday to defeat Florida Atlantic University, 129-100, at the Norman A. Whitten Student Union Pool.

In the 50-yard freestyle, the Canes went 1-2-3 with redshirt junior Kirsten Pomerleau, senior Katie Eason and sophomore Lizzi Torres.

Junior All-American Brittany Viola took first place in both the one-meter and three-meter diving events.

Miami hosts two scrimmages

The University of Miami baseball team defeated Miami Dade College 7-5 after trailing 2-1 through four innings on Thursday night at Mark Light Field,

The Hurricane offense put up two runs in the fifth, two in the sixth and one in both the seventh and eighth innings for the victory.

Junior shortstop Ryan Jackson and junior catcher Jason Hagerty combined to go 4-for-6 with three walks, three doubles, two runs and two RBIs.

On Friday night, Indian River State College battled Miami to a scoreless tie.

Five Hurricane pitchers combined for a one-hitter, with the lone hit coming off a bunt single with two outs in the eighth.

Information compiled from and

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...