Sports Briefs

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Miami wins final exhibition game

Senior guard Jack McClinton, recently named to the Wooden Preseason List which honors the nation’s top collegiate player, led the Hurricanes with a game-high 17 points in a 76-43 preseason victory against Barry University on Saturday evening at the BankUnited Center.

The 16th-ranked Canes host Florida Southern to open up the regular season at 7 p.m. Saturday.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Canes hold off Buccaneers

Freshman Shenise Johnson scored 16 points, nine of which came in the second half, as Miami won its final exhibition game 52-49 against Barry on Saturday afternoon at the BankUnited Center.

The Hurricanes begin the regular season at noon Friday as they host Norfolk State.

Sophomore point guard Epiphany Woodson discovered shin splints caused a stress fracture in her left leg and she could miss up to a month.

On Thursday night, senior forward Lamese James and freshman guard Riquana Williams were involved in an accident when a bus hit their car near Dadeland Mall. They were released from the hospital that night and are not expected to miss significant time.

SWIMMING/DIVING

Hurricanes win second straight home meet

The University of Miami swimming and diving team (5-3) got first place in each event Saturday to defeat Florida Atlantic University, 129-100, at the Norman A. Whitten Student Union Pool.

In the 50-yard freestyle, the Canes went 1-2-3 with redshirt junior Kirsten Pomerleau, senior Katie Eason and sophomore Lizzi Torres.

Junior All-American Brittany Viola took first place in both the one-meter and three-meter diving events.

BASEBALL

Miami hosts two scrimmages

The University of Miami baseball team defeated Miami Dade College 7-5 after trailing 2-1 through four innings on Thursday night at Mark Light Field,

The Hurricane offense put up two runs in the fifth, two in the sixth and one in both the seventh and eighth innings for the victory.

Junior shortstop Ryan Jackson and junior catcher Jason Hagerty combined to go 4-for-6 with three walks, three doubles, two runs and two RBIs.

On Friday night, Indian River State College battled Miami to a scoreless tie.

Five Hurricane pitchers combined for a one-hitter, with the lone hit coming off a bunt single with two outs in the eighth.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com and miamiherald.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...