Speak your mind at the final Spoken Word

Spoken Word, an open mic event for students to share their poetry, will say goodbye to its home at the Rathskeller this coming Wednesday, which is already bringing a sense of nostalgia to student poets at the University of Miami.

Senior Uduak Bassey remembers attending and speaking at Spoken Word nights since her sophomore year.

“I would go on YouTube to listen to poets, and I wanted others to hear them,” she said.

Bassey is now chair of the Rathskeller Advisory Board for Spoken Word for the 2008-2009 school year.

“It’s exciting for me because I’m actually trying to get students involved in what Spoken Word is – a positive medium for self expression,” she said.

Joe Braun, a junior, said poetry spoken out loud is generally composed in a different way than written poetry.

“When vocalized, poetry reaches people in a different manner than in literature,” he said.

Senior Billy King, from West Virginia, is grateful for the opportunity to communicate through poetry on campus.

“I’m really happy we have something like this here,” King said. “I want people to relate to me, and it’s all just a matter of trying to say how you feel in the spotlight. You never know when someone will be affected by your words.”

Spoken Word takes place on the second Wednesday of every month from 8 to 10 p.m. This semester the event has included a guest-traveling poet and also a featured student poet from UM.

“In past years, some students have opened up for the main feature, but I wanted Spoken Word to be a more integral part of campus life,” Bassey said. “I decided to make student features permanent.”

Junior James Patrick is November’s featured student poet, and Bridget Gray is the featured traveling poet.

Patrick said he is excited to perform and looks forward to the opportunity to relay a message through words he is “graced to use.”

The previous Spoken Word on Oct. 8 featured student poet Asia Davis and guest feature Oveous Maximus.

“The atmosphere was really alive,” Braun said. “There weren’t seats left. People were sitting on the ground and standing up against the wall.”

Students interested in speaking can sign up at the Rathskeller on the day of the event, Nov. 12, starting at 7 p.m.

Poetry can be on any topic, from the frustrations of society to relationships or politics.

“We all have different themes in poetry, but audiences receive them in different ways,” said Patrick, adding that subject matter and the words spoken are not the only things to consider when performing spoken word. “Word play, rhythm and your delivery are extremely important as well.”

The location of Spoken Word following the closing of the Rathskeller has not yet been determined.

“There are a lot of ideas being thrown around as to where the next events in general at the Rat will be,” Bassey said.

Braun said he has heard talk of moving Spoken Word to the Rock.

“I think it would be an entirely different atmosphere, but that’s the beautiful thing about poetry – it adapts to the surroundings,” he said

Lauren Shepherd

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

Women’s Commission’s 47th annual breakfast honors those who stand up to make a difference for women ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Chalk round two up to Raymond Gil, who made amends with a walk-off single to send the Hurricanes pas ...

The Hurricanes set two school records in the men's throws and had two female student-athletes p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was on the verge of knocking down top-ranked Wake For ...

The University of Miami volleyball team hosts Florida Atlantic University at the James L. Knight Spo ...

The University of Miami Hurricane Club is excited to announce the official 2018 Building Champions S ...