US and World News

WASHINGTON – A new G.I. Bill that will go into effect in August 2009 will offer a greatly improved package of education benefits. It is expected to greatly increase the number of veterans in the nation’s colleges and universities.

GUANTANAMO BAY – Ali Hamza al-Bahlul, an al-Qaeda propagandist who promised endless war against the United States, was sentenced to life in prison on Monday after his conviction at Guantanamo Bay on 35 counts of solicitation to commit murder, providing material support for terrorism and conspiracy.

MOSCOW – Russian leader Dmitri A. Medvedev warned on Wednesday that Moscow might deploy short-range missiles in the Baltic region to counter a perceived threat from a proposed American missile defense shield in Eastern Europe.

TEHRAN – Iran’s military said Wednesday that American helicopters were spotted near its border with Iraq and warned that Iran would respond to any violation of its airspace, IRNA news agency reported.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...