UM’s boys need to step their chic up

In being part of one of the world’s fashion capitals, one could logically infer that the University of Miami would be a hubbub of innovative and show-stopping fashion. The fashion sense of the students, however, is a debated topic.

A fair way to evaluate the fashion, or lack of, at the University of Miami is to note and acknowledge recurring trends. The men at the University in particular are an interesting topic for fashion evaluation, because their trends are so dominant. If there is one guy wearing white Air Max 90s, there are fifty guys wearing white Air Max 90s.

A strong trend among male students is baggy pants and/or jeans. The trend that is now a little over ten years old is extremely prevalent among UM’s male population. Most of the young men on campus can be spotted wearing their belt around their backside rather than their waist. Which brings up the question, why wear a belt at all?

Another strong trend among UM males is fitted hats, or 59fifty hats, usually adorned with NFL or MLB logos. These trends are predominantly found on American students, while European students, to generalize, traditionally dress more formal with leather dress shoes and jeans that do not reference a stint in prison.

While preppy fashion trends for men are a rare occurrence on our campus, it does exist. Preppy statement pieces such as the Ralph Lauren Polo, J. Crew boat shoes and nautical designs are the chosen items.

Even still, one can spy the infrequent brave male student breaking the college fashion norms by rejecting the wrinkled green UM cotton tee for a far more flashy neon Bape hoodie and some Pharrell-inspired eyeglasses. These students often experiment with a collaboration of style trends, mimicking Andre 3000’s unique mix of preppy and new age. Vibrant colors and abstract graphics are reemerging trends in this offbeat trend.

Hopefully with more coming in fall fashion novelties, a greater number of male students will feel liberated enough to dress outside their conformist fashion box.

Ramona Cavanagh

Contributing EDGE Writer

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “UM’s boys need to step their chic up”

1. Billy Mauro says:

Hey Punkin,

Great article. You are very intelligent and your writing skills will bring you very far in life. Keep up the good work.

Love,
    Billy

2. Uncle C. says:

Hey Bug,
    What do you know about Andre 3000? Do you even own an Outkast track? Do you know what inspired and informs his fashion sensibility? Introduce yourself to his publicist, Samantha Mast at Rogers & Cowan in LA (310)854-8100 and set a time to discuss. Note: You can time the call around the release of the next thing/product (album, movie, tv show, merchandise launch, etc.)that he’s trying to sell (smile)…Good luck and great job with the article…
    Abracos,
    Uncle C.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...