South Miami Beats

What began as a Girl Scout Gold Award project started by two 15-year-olds has now turned into a large scale effort to collect food donations for families in need in South Miami. The original goal of the project was to collect food for underprivileged families to eat during Thanksgiving, yet with the help of the police department and South Miami City Commissioner Randy Wiscombe, the girls hope to establish a permanent food bank for South Miami. Thanksgiving donations will be collected at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 12, at South Miami City Hall.

Commissioner Carlos A. Gimenez hosted a flu and pneumonia vaccination clinic for Miami-Dade residents last Thursday at the South Miami Community Center. Those 65 and older were able to get free vaccinations, while those younger than 65 were required to pay a fee of $30 for each flu shot and $35 for each pneumonia shot.

Splitsville, South Miami’s new luxury bowling lounge, is hosting a “Super Bowl” event benefiting the Children’s Bereavement Center, South Florida’s non-profit organization helping children and families cope with loss. The event, which will take place Nov. 6 from 7 to 11 p.m., will include door prizes and raffle prizes, along with cocktails, a dinner buffet and a live DJ.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer