South Miami Beats

What began as a Girl Scout Gold Award project started by two 15-year-olds has now turned into a large scale effort to collect food donations for families in need in South Miami. The original goal of the project was to collect food for underprivileged families to eat during Thanksgiving, yet with the help of the police department and South Miami City Commissioner Randy Wiscombe, the girls hope to establish a permanent food bank for South Miami. Thanksgiving donations will be collected at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 12, at South Miami City Hall.

Commissioner Carlos A. Gimenez hosted a flu and pneumonia vaccination clinic for Miami-Dade residents last Thursday at the South Miami Community Center. Those 65 and older were able to get free vaccinations, while those younger than 65 were required to pay a fee of $30 for each flu shot and $35 for each pneumonia shot.

Splitsville, South Miami’s new luxury bowling lounge, is hosting a “Super Bowl” event benefiting the Children’s Bereavement Center, South Florida’s non-profit organization helping children and families cope with loss. The event, which will take place Nov. 6 from 7 to 11 p.m., will include door prizes and raffle prizes, along with cocktails, a dinner buffet and a live DJ.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...