Our opinion: Time to relax after grueling campaign season

So now the election is over. All the hubbub has come to an end and we are left with the first president-elect of a non-white ethnicity in the history of our nation. Many of us fought long and hard to ensure our desired candidate was the 44th president of the United States. For the supporters of Sen. John McCain, he went out strong and ended with his best speech of the election season. For those who supported Sen. Barack Obama, well, congratulations. The throngs of celebrating people in the streets Tuesday night attests to the joy shared by Obamaniacs across the country.

Whether you like him or not, he will be our president and we must hope and pray that he holds up his end of the bargain.

But where does all the vibe go now that the game is over? Is every day supposed to be the start to the new beginning? Today just feels like any other Thursday.

The fact is that the entire process took a toll on all of us. It was long and arduous and we’re all spent. A 21-month campaigning season is ridiculous. In the future, primaries could be moved later, making everyone’s life a little less stress-packed.

Enough bickering though. It is unbelievable how the youth vote turned out. Our age group propelled our president-elect to the White House and he is well aware of this. It is a serious statement of our time and our generation. We are no longer in the “olden days.” Our generation is colorblind and that fact is substantiated by the polls.

We all deserve a hefty pat on the back for (1) dealing with all of the campaign nonsense, (2) voting and (3) making history.

Congratulations America.

Editorial Board

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Our opinion: Time to relax after grueling campaign season”

1. george says:

It is not time to relax after the passage of Amendment 2! If the GLBT is to be relegated to second class citizenry, then its people need to rise up immediately. Maybe it’s time for a gay national liberation movement to take shape and to take over a city or two. If Palin’s Alaska secessionist party can threaten to do it, why can’t gays in San Fran and elsewhere? And the GLBT community, like the Jews in the holocaust or Tutsis in Rwanda have been historical victims of the worst atrocities known to humankind, so why not give the gays their own state where they can live with dignity alongside non gays who value human rights. WIth their own state, persecuted gays could come from around the world to escape human rights violations. IF Israel could do it, why can’t gays? Both Jews and gays and gypsies and Tutsis have been ravaged by holocausts. The GLBT community cannot just sit back and relax. There is a coordinated effort to attack GLBT people going on and it will only get worse if tehy don’t do something about it. Now is the time for gays and their allies to fight more than ever to be treated w/ dignity and respect. And if that doesn’t work, they need to fight some more and become a little more radical in how they do it.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...