Soccer

Canes lose second straight to UNC, await NCAA fate

For the second time in four days, the women’s soccer team kept second-ranked North Carolina close.

Unfortunately for the Hurricanes, the result remained the same as Miami (10-8-3) fell 1-0 to the Tar Heels (17-1-2) Wednesday afternoon in Cary, N.C., in the quarterfinal round of the ACC tournament.

Junior midfielder Tobin Heath scored the game winner off a pass from sophomore midfielder Meghan Klingenberg in the 67th minute for her eighth goal of the season.

On Sunday afternoon, the top seed’s deciding goal came with six minutes to play on a stolen goal kick by junior forward Casey Nogueira.

“We beat a very good defensive team,” North Carolina head coach Anson Dorrance said. “Miami makes it hard to move the ball, and their goalkeeper is superb. I pity the teams in Miami’s bracket in the NCAA tournament. They are very tough to beat.”

Freshman goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo made seven saves to increase her total to 109 on the year.

Over the past six matches, eighth-seeded Miami has allowed just two goals – both to the Tar Heels.

“Our defense has led us this season,” junior midfielder Beverly Goebel said. “We all defend and attack the ball.”

North Carolina held a 22-8 shot advantage, and, in the regular season finale, took 33 shots.

“I’m extremely proud of the team,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “It’s a difficult task to play North Carolina back-to-back and to hold them to two goals. Our team takes pride in our defense and mentality.”

With 7:36 left, the Canes had their best opportunity when Goebel’s hard liner was blocked by Tar Heel senior keeper Anna Rodenbough.

Sophomore forward Brittney Steinbruch returned to action for nine minutes after missing the last nine games due to a hip injury and recorded a shot on goal with less than two minutes to play.

“We had really great chances and it was an even better game [than Sunday’s],” Goebel said. “Any time Brittney touches the ball something can happen. With everyone back, we can do it all together.”

The Hurricanes must wait until 8 p.m. Monday to see if they will make their second straight appearance in the NCAA tournament.

Last season, Miami lost on the road 3-0 to third-seeded Florida in the opening round.

“When I first got here, I wanted to build a good foundation and a consistent team,” Taliaferro said. “We’re starting to get there. Now it’s playing against these top teams and getting over the edge. I was disappointed that they were able to get that goal when we were pressing, but overall I was pleased with our performance today.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...