Fresh Pick: ‘Viva La Hova’

They say there’s no such thing as a free lunch, but who in the world needs lunch when you can have a free mixtape mashing up two of the world’s premier acts – Jay-Z and Coldplay.

Last week, DJ Mick Boogie and partner Terry Urban dropped a mixtape entitled Viva La Hova, which effectively brings together “the lyrical elegance of Shawn Carter, the vocal magic of Chris Martin and the finely tuned instruments of Coldplay.”

By teaming with some of hip-hop’s top producers like 9th Wonder, The Kickdrums and Judah, Boogie and Urban bring the world an inspiring collection that all music fans can agree on. Finally, hip-hop heads and alternative enthusiasts can sit in a room and enjoy an album that truly transcends genre.

Sonically, the album works so damn well because it doesn’t compromise any of the artistry that Coldplay and Jay-Z bring to their tracks. There are no blends that alter Jay’s voice, and there are no cheesy drum patterns that outshine Coldplay’s anthemic instrumentation. Simply put, the producers knew not to mess with a great thing and instead mixed together the proven sounds of past collaborators.

From Jay’s heart wrenching reminiscing on “Lost Part 2” to his introspective paradox on “Science is Ignorant,” and his honest attempt at a love song on “What if We Cry,” listeners follow Jay’s storytelling over Coldplay’s hits as if they were tailor-made for each other.

Not since Dangermouse’s Grey Album has a mash-up been so innovative and successful. So it’s no wonder that just a week after its digital release, the tape’s received nods of approval from Jay and Coldplay and has big fans in everyone from John Mayer to Mike Shinoda.

For more info on the tape and download links, check out the project’s official site: www.vivalahova.com.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...