Volleyball

Canes split weekend series

The University of Miami women’s volleyball team lost at the Knight Sports Complex for the first time this season against Wake Forest on Sunday, after beating first place Duke Friday night.

The loss to Wake Forest (16-9, 7-6) snapped the Hurricanes’ 13-game win streak at home, which dated back to last season.

On Friday night Miami (20-5, 8-5) swept, then-No. 1 Duke (18-7, 9-4) by scores of 27-25, 25-19 and 25-23. This was their eleventh shutout of the season.

Libero Cassie Loessberg hustled all over the court and was tremendous defensively, as she recorded 17 digs.

“We are used to playing under pressure,” Loessberg said. “I think playing with so much intensity, so much focus, so much competiveness and so much composure helped us prevail and finish the game.”

The first set was very competitive as it featured 12 ties and six lead changes. Duke led 14-12, nut Miami called a timeout to regain their focus and never looked back.

Miami never trailed in the second set and won the third set as Loessberg’s serves propelled the Canes to their first 20-win season since 2003.

The win also affirmed that Miami is not intimidated by the mystique of Halloween, as they improved to 11-2 all-time on Halloween.

The Hurricanes were unable to complete a perfect weekend for Miami athletics. After winning Friday night, seeing their fellow student-athletes on the men’s and women’s basketball teams win their exhibition openers and witnessing the football team orchestrate a fourth quarter comeback, the volleyball team was unable to carry that momentum into Sunday afternoon’s match against Wake Forest.

After losing to Wake Forest in Winston Salem earlier in this season, the orange and green were unable to capture revenge on the Demon Deacons. Wake Forest swept Miami, 25-19, 25-22, 25-22.

Wake Forest became the first team this year to hit over .300 in a match against the Hurricanes.

Freshman phenom Lane Carico and sophomore sensation Katie Gallagher recorded their 12th and 11th double-doubles, respectively. Carico led the team with 14 kills and chipped in with 11 digs. Gallagher was strong in a losing effort, tallying 25 assists and 12 digs.

Miami is now tied for third place in the ACC, as six teams are separated by one or two games.

Head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch returns to her alma mater Friday night, as Miami battles Maryland at 7 p.m.

Justin Antweil

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...