16-year-old arrested in killing of crocodile on campus

BUSTED: University of Miami police chief David Rivero addresses the media Thursday, annoucing the arrest of a suspect in the killing of an endangered American Crocodile found on campus. LAUREN WHIDDON // Hurricane Staff

UPDATED 6:33 P.M. 10/31/2008

The University of Miami Police Department in conjunction with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) have arrested a 16-year-old in the killing of the 8-to 10-foot crocodile killed in a UM canal Oct. 1.

University of Miami Police Chief David Rivero announced at a press conference Thursday that John Michael Herndon was arrested for the dismemberment of the endangered crocodile.

“A very good tip on Monday, 10 days ago, led us to get a search warrant and find DNA evidence [linked to the perpetrators],” Rivero said.

Rivero, along with Officer Jorge Pino of the FWC, said a total of three juveniles and two adults were involved in the crime. DNA evidence was found at 6780 SW 44 st. Apt. 6 in South Miami, near Coral Lake. While one minor has been arrested, the other is missing. Three of the five involved contributed to the crime but “were not actively involved” in the murder.

“We are still looking for the second subject,” Rivero said.

Their motive was pure game.

“[Herndon] comes from a family of poachers,” Rivero said.

Herndon, who Rivero said showed signs of “remorse” for his actions, was taken back to the scene of the crime to point out the location of significant evidence.

The charges to the five individuals include killing an endangered animal, cruelty to animals, trespassing on school property with a weapon, possession of a burglary tool, grand theft, contributing to delinquency of a child, unlawful use of a two-way communication device, criminal solicitation and criminal conspiracy.

Rivero added that the arrested minor had fished on campus in the past.

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2113258&show_title=0&show_byline=0″ height=”283″ width=”375″ allowfullscreen=”true” /]

Evidence, including knives and a chum bag used to lure the crocodile from the canal, were recovered.

Herndon told investigators where to find the head of the crocodile, and the Miami-Dade Police Department dive team retrieved it from a lake near campus.

The success of this case, according to Rivero and Pino, sends a message to the local community that “this will not be tolerated.”

“We were all emotionally attached to the croc, who lived here for years,” Rivero said. “That set us off on our investigation.”

In the press conference, UMPD revealed that the investigation was titled “Operation Donna,” after the deceased crocodile’s name.

In addition to the UMPD team of investigators and FWC, Rivero attributes the success of the case largely to Crimestoppers, who facilitated the acquisition of tips, and rewards offered by CompUSA and the Humane Society.

Joshua W. Newman contributed to this article.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “16-year-old arrested in killing of crocodile on campus”

1. pepe says:

how were you emotionally attached.. by love n sexually or just platonic

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...