Students convey political messages using Halloween costumes

This Halloween, college students nationwide have stashed the usual French maid or sexy firefighter costume in the closet to instead follow this year’s trend to dress up as the candidates of the 2008 presidential election.

“The election is not about who is better for our country anymore,” junior Daniella Meair said. “The candidates have turned into celebrity figures and students have taken an interest in them more so than ever before.”

Meair added that she thinks the popularity of political costumes is due to the personalities of the candidates.

Some students planning to wear presidential garb feel it will help to promote their political agenda.

“This election is a very emotional one and students feel strongly about it and want to get their voices heard, even if that means dressing up as [Republican presidential nominee Sen.] John McCain to do it,” junior Annette Medina said.

Republican vice-presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin is among the most popular costume choices, according to some costume stores.

“A lot of people asked about it. More people have asked about masks, especially of Sarah Palin. We have dressed people in suits with lapel pins and styling different wigs,” said Debbie Weisman of ABC Costume Shop in Miami.

According to online costume superstore buycostumes.com, 4,000 Sarah Palin masks have been sold to young adults around the country.

To imitate Palin’s token style does not come cheap, though. Costumes are typically priced at $70 or more, depending on if the buyer is willing to spend on an elaborate Palin wig.

Students who are on a budget this Halloween can go to ehow.com, which explains how to get that perfect costume without emptying your wallet.

Regardless of political preference, one fact is for sure this election season: Palin and Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama are in, while Playboy bunny and Fred Flintstone are out.

Costume Shops

Miami Twice – located on Bird Road

Party City – located on US1

Ricky’s – located on Lincoln Road

Spirit Halloween – located in the Sunset Shops

Halloween Events on Campus

Halloween Events

Halloween Ibis Ride to the Grove on Oct. 31

The Cosford Cinema is having a Halloween Weekend and showing spooky movies before and on Halloween

Sacred and Magical Trees – Gifford Arboretum, 5 p.m. Thursday

Hallelujah Party in the UC Ballroom C&D from 7 to 11 p.m. Friday

Jackie Smith

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...