Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Marve receives ACC weekly honor

Redshirt freshman quarterback Robert Marve earned ACC Rookie of the Week honors for the second time this season after last Saturday’s performance against Wake Forest.

Marve accounted for 209 of Miami’s 296 yards as the Hurricanes defeated the Demon Deacons, 16-10, for their third-straight victory.

Earlier in the season, Marve received the honor after his performance against Texas A&M.

SOCCER

Macdonald named to Soccer Buzz Elite Team of the Week

Sophomore defender Brittney Macdonald was named to the Soccer Buzz Elite Team of the Week after helping the Hurricanes go 1-0-1 last week and record two shutouts.

Besides limiting ninth-ranked Duke and 19th-ranked Wake Forest to nine shots on goal, Macdonald scored the game winner against the Demon Deacons, her second goal of the season.

She also became the first Cane named to the team since Oct. 15, 2007, when Lauren McAdam garnered the honor as goalkeeper.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Team picked to finish fourth

In a preseason media poll administered at the ACC’s annual Operation Basketball, the University of Miami men’s basketball team was picked to finish fourth out of the 12 teams in the basketball-rich ACC. North Carolina was voted to the top spot.

This marks the highest ranking for the Hurricanes, who enter their fifth season in the conference. Last year, Miami was predicted to finish last and instead ended up in fifth by going 8-8 in conference play.

Senior guard Jack McClinton was named to the Preseason All-ACC Team

HALL OF FAME

Six former student-athletes to be inducted

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced the induction of six former student-athletes to its 2009 membership.

This year’s class includes future Football Ring of Honor member Edgerrin James, former offensive lineman Mike Sullivan, current Baltimore Orioles baseball player Aubrey Huff, track Olympian Davian Clark, Miami’s first baseball player drafted Warren Bogle and women’s national golf champion Cathy Morse.

The induction banquet will be held on April 23 at Miami’s Jungle Island.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...