Much ado about nothing

Over the past couple weeks I have begun to hear rumblings of something I am not at all happy about. Early on, I was frustrated by one thought: Why can’t people let good be left good?

But then, I sat down with a cool head and I thought about it, and I came to my senses: These people were correct.

What am I talking about?

It’s quite simple actually: Robert Marve or Jacory Harris.

Before I get into this, though, I need to set a couple things straight.

By no means am I attempting to stir up controversy. That is the last thing I want.

I have no problem with where the Hurricane football team is right now, especially because I foresee the team and these players achieving great things in the near future.

Despite this, I feel it my duty to voice what I have been hearing.

This decision was by no means an easy one, but after much consideration, here we go: This team has two GOOD quarterbacks. And, both have the potential to be great, on the collegiate level.

What’s the problem then? The problem is exactly what I said: They are both good.

At different junctures this season, we have seen both of these guys make freshman mistakes, but, at other times, we have seen both Marve and Harris play beyond their years and lead the Hurricanes to a victory.

Harris had his shining moment two weeks ago against Duke, while Marve propelled the Canes to a hard-earned victory against Wake Forest.

Herein lies the problem, if you can even call it that.

There are people in Miami and Canes fans around the nation who believe Marve deserves and should retain his starting job. But there are also those who believe that Jacory is the better option for this team, and he needs to be given his fair shake.

Honestly, it’s a tossup.

Both are good quarterbacks and both are deserving, and the fans are beginning to voice this sentiment. This isn’t a problem, at least, unless both of these guys start thinking this way.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but it is a possibility. It’s also highly possible that this is a whole bunch of nothing, and I’m making something out of nothing.

In this regard, one has to believe Harris knew exactly what situation he was coming into.

The same goes for Marve. He had to have know that no one was just going to hand him the starting job.

Another factor in this equation is that both guys want to be here. Marve pulled his commitment to Alabama to come to Miami, and there is no questioning Harris’ love for Miami.

Still, one has to ask: What if all this is outweighed by each back’s feeling that he should be the starter?

What if this turns into something more? What if the odd man out decides he wants to transfer? At this point, are we sold on either of these two guys as the guy? I know both are good, but who needs to be the guy leading this team?

In my opinion, even if both these guys decide to stay, I don’t feel we have seen enough of either. And that is where we need to start.

We need to know who the best option for this team is, and we need to know soon.

This is not written in an effort to spark controversy, but I would be scared if either of these guys decided to leave.

Yes, I would be scared because I would like to have both, but I would be terrified of losing the guy who could have been.

I know that reading this has not made things clear, but that’s the point. In the end, all of this could be much ado about nothing, but one has to wonder…

Pravin Patel

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...