Movie Review: ‘The Secret Life of Bees’

Set in South Carolina in 1964, The Secret Life of Bees relates an account of the civil rights movement and proves that love can fashion among anyone.

Lily Owens is haunted by thoughts of her late mother, who died tragically when Lily was a young child. Living with her abusive father only seems to make matters worse for the 14-year-old. Lily gains enough ambition to leave her home with her African-American nanny, Rosaleen, in hopes of finding the answers to life-long curiosities.

As the two make their journey, they are taken in by the Boatwrights – August, May and June.  Lily discovers the legend of Black Madonna Honey and finds comfort in truth’s legacy.

Pain-stricken Lily, played by Dakota Fanning, embraces viewers with her big blue feeling eyes. With her southern twang and a ratty ponytail, one cannot help but to sympathize with the young girl. Miss August Boatwright is yet another bold, embracing role for Queen Latifah, while both Alicia Keys (Miss June) and Jennifer Hudson (Rosaleen) are able to contribute their musical talents to the film’s story.

Although it may be seen as a young girl’s unrealistic fantasy, The Secret Life of Bees is a heartwarming story.

A film made with the contributions of Will and Jada Pinkett-Smith, The Secret Life of Bees shows that all things in life not only want to be loved, but deserve to be loved. Bring your girlfriends, sisters, mothers and daughters and relate to the many relationships in The Secret Life of Bees, for it is sure to hit hive.

Stefanie Schartel

Contributing EDGE Writer

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...