Movie Review: ‘The Secret Life of Bees’

Set in South Carolina in 1964, The Secret Life of Bees relates an account of the civil rights movement and proves that love can fashion among anyone.

Lily Owens is haunted by thoughts of her late mother, who died tragically when Lily was a young child. Living with her abusive father only seems to make matters worse for the 14-year-old. Lily gains enough ambition to leave her home with her African-American nanny, Rosaleen, in hopes of finding the answers to life-long curiosities.

As the two make their journey, they are taken in by the Boatwrights – August, May and June.  Lily discovers the legend of Black Madonna Honey and finds comfort in truth’s legacy.

Pain-stricken Lily, played by Dakota Fanning, embraces viewers with her big blue feeling eyes. With her southern twang and a ratty ponytail, one cannot help but to sympathize with the young girl. Miss August Boatwright is yet another bold, embracing role for Queen Latifah, while both Alicia Keys (Miss June) and Jennifer Hudson (Rosaleen) are able to contribute their musical talents to the film’s story.

Although it may be seen as a young girl’s unrealistic fantasy, The Secret Life of Bees is a heartwarming story.

A film made with the contributions of Will and Jada Pinkett-Smith, The Secret Life of Bees shows that all things in life not only want to be loved, but deserve to be loved. Bring your girlfriends, sisters, mothers and daughters and relate to the many relationships in The Secret Life of Bees, for it is sure to hit hive.

Stefanie Schartel

Contributing EDGE Writer

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...