Volleyball

Canes endure tough road trip

SETTING THE TABLE: Volleyball players Katie Gallagher sets the ball as Ali Becker prepares to attempt a kill in a volleyball match earlier this season. File Photo // Steve Root

What a difference a weekend makes.

The University of Miami volleyball team had its six-game win streak snapped, as they lost to Virginia (13-9, 5-5) in a thrilling five-set match and were defeated by Virginia Tech (17-5, 8-3), 3-1.

The road trip got off to an auspicious beginning, as the Hurricanes jumped out to a 2-0 lead over the Cavaliers. They won the first two sets 25-19 and 27-25.

After an intermission, the Canes were not able to sustain the same success. They lost the final three sets 13-25, 22-25 and 13-15.

The Canes had a 12-10 lead in the decisive fifth set, but Virginia was able to pull away, ending the night on a 5-1 run.

This was the first time since September 2004 that a Hurricanes team has blown a 2-0 lead in a match.

Despite the loss, junior outside hitter Genny Mayhew recorded her ninth double-double of the season, tallying 10 kills and a season-high 17 digs. With the 17 digs, Mayhew moved into the elusive “500 club,” with over 500 kills and 500 digs in her career.

Sophomore sensation Katie Gallagher dished out 51 assists and is now second all-time in assists in UM history, as she passed Mallory James, a member of the Orange and Green from 2001-2004.

Freshman outside-hitter and reigning ACC Player of the Week Lane Carico was also strong in a losing effort, registering her team-leading eleventh double-double of the season, totaling 20 kills and a season high 27 digs.

Coming into Saturday’s match against Virginia Tech, the Hokies and Canes were two of five teams tied for first in the ACC. Miami was unable to knock off Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, though, as they fell 18-25, 25-19, 17-25 and 20-25.

The Canes hitting percentage was .149 compared to the Hokies .260.

For the third straight match the Hurricanes had at least 20 unforced errors – very uncharacteristic of this team.

Junior libero Cassie Loessberg, Gallagher and sophomore outside hitter Maria Andersson each recorded double digits in digs shoveling out 23, 12 and 10, respectively.

With nine matches left to play this season, every match is critical if the Hurricanes want an automatic bid into the NCAA tournament, a sight they have not seen since 2002.

UM’s next match is at home on Friday night against Duke at 7 p.m.

Justin Antweil

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...