Aborted boat burning, well-attended concert mark Hurricane Howl 2008

Grammy Award-winner Pharrell Williams, the frontman of N*E*R*D, performs for a large crowd at Hurricane Howl 2008. DANNY BULL // Hurricane Staff

In 2007, Hurricane Howl was marred by a performance abruptly halted. In 2008, the concert was well attended and received, but it was a decades-old tradition that had the problem.

After a “technical difficulty,” the homecoming boat-burning was canceled, leaving hundreds of spectators left with questions and melted candles.

The masses who gathered around the lake migrated to the green in front of the Richter Library, where rap duo Kidz in the Hall opened for funk-rock group N*E*R*D. The band repeatedly egged on a “U” chant, as students began crowd surfing. The band ended their set with “She Wants to Move,” as dozens of audience members danced on the stage.

There was one injury reported after the concert, which brought Coral Gables emergency personnel to the library area. The wound was not believed to be serious.

Matthew Bunch

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Aborted boat burning, well-attended concert mark Hurricane Howl 2008”

1. AngryAboutTheDamnBoat says:

What boggles my mind is that this University is full of brilliant students and faculty, yet somehow we couldn’t manage to set a boat on fire? Really?! Give me a damn blow torch and I’ll show you how it’s done. The least that could have been done was to relate this news to the cluster of students by the lake holding onto their last hopes of seeing this grand tradition. How thoughtless this all seems! You couldn’t blow up the boat and then you left us all just sitting there. RUDE! We pay too much to get shafted like that! =(

2. President Shalala says:

It wasn’t the Homecoming Committee’s fault the boat didn’t burn. Next year if my staff can’t get the boat to burn I will personally swim out and burn it. Luckily we won the game without the burned boat! President Shalala

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...