Our opinion: Homecoming underpublicized, lacking in tradition

What is homecoming? Does anyone really know what that means? If you went to a high school that really appreciated the authenticity and tradition that homecoming instills, you might have a clue. If not, all you know are the incredible times that UM homecoming has to offer.

Despite this potential for great fun and frivolity, there are some problems with this year’s celebration.

We assume, for the game, that you tailgate several hours prior to kickoff. This week, and for last year’s homecoming as well, our game is at noon. Whether it’s the school or the ACC or the television networks that decide on game time, we are not happy campers. There once was a time (like two years ago) that Miami’s homecoming was a primetime event. No longer.

The evening before our very winnable game against Wake Forest (positive thinking breeds positive results), hip-hop sensation N*E*R*D will grace us with their presence and infuse in all of us a mood of joy and pride.

Realistically, many will be drinking before, during and after the show, and most likely may not make it to the relatively early game.

On another note, where is the feeling of homecoming right now? Besides for a few volunteers in the breezeway begging to suck you dry of platelets and red blood cells, where are the banners? Where is the buzz? At other schools, homecoming practically shuts down business, as alumni return to their alma mater for the big game. The Miami football fan being a practical one, they come back for the big games, like Florida State. A blessing in one sense, a curse in another.

If you’re a Greek, you are well aware of the full extent of activities that go on this week – because they involve you. For a school where Greek life is not that prevalent, “O-Cheer” and the float parade are all centered around Greek life. But otherwise, this week may seem like just any other week in the fall in Miami. Excitement for football is a renewable source of energy at UM, but excitement for homecoming just doesn’t seem to replenish as easily.

Editorial Board

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...