CD Review: Oasis’ ‘Dig Out Your Soul’

If, like me, your disappointment in the previous Oasis album, Don’t Believe the Truth, was palpable, you may also approach this album with a sense of trepidation. Well end your tremulous steps and walk towards this record boldly, dear reader. This album is, while perhaps not up to the glorious standard of What’s The Story, Morning Glory, is most definitely a return to form for the Mancunian masters.

The headlining songs – “The Shock of the Lightning” and “I’m Outta Time” – are tracks that are quite different from one another, and yet are typical of earlier Oasis opuses. “I’m Outta Time” is downbeat without being depressing and inspiring without being insipid, a relaxing yet catchy song almost on par with the replayability of “Wonderwall.”

“Lightning’s” own style is more upbeat, and is a fantastic pre-gaming anthem. The other songs follow in much the same fashion, so if you have enjoyed Oasis’ music in the past, you’ll doubtlessly be thrilled by this album and consider it money well spent. If you are opposed to my personal opinion that Don’t Believe The Truth was a low point for the brilliant British band, you too may enjoy it, as it has some stylistic similarities but drops the unnecessary acoustic adoration.

This is a superb album, a return to form and one which I may recommend without regret. Compared to the mire of mediocrity that was their previous effort, Oasis have indeed dug out their soul.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

Tobias Waters

Contributing EDGE Writer

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...