Sports Briefs

TENNIS

Vallverdu falls in semifinals

Senior Daniel Vallverdu, ranked third in the nation, lost in the semifinals of the ITA Southeast Regional Championships to 12th-ranked Nate Schnugg of Georgia, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.

Despite the loss, Vallverdu qualified for the National Indoor Championships from Nov. 6-9 in Charlottesville, Va.

GOLF

Hurricanes take third at Lady Pirate Intercollegiate

Miami picked up its first top-three finish since the 2006-2007 season with a three-day total of 913 in the 20-team field at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate competition.

Georgia State and host East Carolina took the top two team spots.

The Hurricanes’ second round score of 291 Monday was one of the 10 lowest team round scores in school history. Sophomores Maria Ronderos and Christina Hirano finished tied for 10th and 12th respectively.

FOOTBALL

Harris receives ACC honor

Freshman quarterback Jacory Harris earned the ACC Rookie of the Week distinction for the second time this season.

Harris threw for a career-high four touchdowns and ran for another touchdown to lead the Hurricanes past the Duke Blue Devils 49-31 on Saturday.

VOLLEYBALL

Carico earns ACC honor

Freshman outside hitter Lane Carico was tabbed as the ACC Volleyball Player of the Week as the Canes won back-to-back ACC matches against North Carolina and North Carolina State.

On the week, the Manhattan Beach, Calif., native registered 30 kills, a .347 hitting percentage, four assists and 28 digs.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Time set for first exhibition game

The University of Miami men’s basketball team will face Florida Memorial in its first exhibition game Nov. 1 at 5:30 p.m. at the BankUnited Center, which allows fans to watch Hurricane football play Virginia at noon.

Miami opens the regular season at home against Florida Southern on Nov. 15. That game will begin at 7:30 p.m.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...