Sports Briefs

Vallverdu falls in semifinals

Senior Daniel Vallverdu, ranked third in the nation, lost in the semifinals of the ITA Southeast Regional Championships to 12th-ranked Nate Schnugg of Georgia, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.

Despite the loss, Vallverdu qualified for the National Indoor Championships from Nov. 6-9 in Charlottesville, Va.

Hurricanes take third at Lady Pirate Intercollegiate

Miami picked up its first top-three finish since the 2006-2007 season with a three-day total of 913 in the 20-team field at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate competition.

Georgia State and host East Carolina took the top two team spots.

The Hurricanes’ second round score of 291 Monday was one of the 10 lowest team round scores in school history. Sophomores Maria Ronderos and Christina Hirano finished tied for 10th and 12th respectively.

Harris receives ACC honor

Freshman quarterback Jacory Harris earned the ACC Rookie of the Week distinction for the second time this season.

Harris threw for a career-high four touchdowns and ran for another touchdown to lead the Hurricanes past the Duke Blue Devils 49-31 on Saturday.

Carico earns ACC honor

Freshman outside hitter Lane Carico was tabbed as the ACC Volleyball Player of the Week as the Canes won back-to-back ACC matches against North Carolina and North Carolina State.

On the week, the Manhattan Beach, Calif., native registered 30 kills, a .347 hitting percentage, four assists and 28 digs.

Time set for first exhibition game

The University of Miami men’s basketball team will face Florida Memorial in its first exhibition game Nov. 1 at 5:30 p.m. at the BankUnited Center, which allows fans to watch Hurricane football play Virginia at noon.

Miami opens the regular season at home against Florida Southern on Nov. 15. That game will begin at 7:30 p.m.

Information compiled from

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

Freshman Daniel Federman will look to make it wins in two straight starts when the Miami Hurricanes ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

University of Miami men's tennis senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were named ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...

After just one match together, freshman Adria Soriano and senior Christian Langmo earned a top-50 ra ...