Ibis Ride to resume Halloween service

The Halloween Ibis Ride is back.

After one year of cancelations, the University of Miami, through a joint effort by Student Government and the administration, will provide students with shuttles to Coconut Grove to enjoy Halloween festivities.

The Halloween ride will pick students up from Stanford Circle at 10 p.m. to take them to Coconut Grove. It will leave Coconut Grove for campus at 1 a.m. The buses will leave at 1 a.m. to better handle traffic.

Students wishing to ride this bus must sign up at the University Center info desk from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday. There are 500 seats available.

“These seats are expected to go very fast,” said Brandon Gross, the Student Government president.

A student needs to bring their Cane Card to load the bus.

There will be a police presence at both the departure and arrival points of the buses. Members of the executive board of SG will ride each one of the ten buses.

The amount of buses was limited by cost. The ten buses will cost $10,000.

A similar plan of 10 buses for 500 students was submitted by SG last year but was rejected.

This plan had the buses leaving at 9 p.m. and returning at 2 a.m. The cost was estimated to be between $12,000 to $15,000 according to previous SG President Danny Carvajal.

Patricia A. Whitely, the vice president for Student Affairs, did not want to provide shuttles to Coconut Grove in the middle of the week last year and interrupt students’ academics.

This year Halloween falls on a Friday, a day that already has regularly planned Ibis Rides. The Halloween shuttles will be chartered buses from American Coach.

In 2006, the Halloween Ride was canceled as around a hundred students rushed the bus in an unruly manner. No one was hurt but this incident made the Dean of Students office from a committee to reassess the Halloween Ibis Ride.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...