Homecoming 2008 theme will be ‘very different,’ festivities begin

CROWN ‘EM: Junior Jaife Calil was crowned Homecoming Queen. The coronation was one of the week’s many events. Zach Woodward // Hurricane Staff.

It’s that time of year again.

With the semester more than halfway over, students can take a break from school’s hectic schedule and celebrate the University of Miami’s Homecoming 2008, “Once Upon a ‘U.’”

The homecoming traditions began in 1931 and each year during this time, UM showcases its rich history and spirit.

“There have been a lot of changes this year,” said senior Jabeen Syed, a co-chair of the Homecoming Executive Committee. “The theme is very different from previous themes and it’s something students can have fun with but still keep with tradition.”

Previous themes include “The Road Home” in 2002, “Taking Shelter from the Storm” in 2003, “Evolution” in 2004 and “Great Things to Come” in 2006.

Since opening ceremonies on Oct. 12, several events have taken place including the alma mater singing competition, a blood drive and the crowning of Homecoming King and Queen – junior Tom Dempsey and junior Jaife Calil.

But there’s still much more to come. Current students, faculty, community members and alumni from all over the country can look forward to the annual homecoming parade, which kicks off at 7 p.m. on Friday.

“One of the big events for the alumni is the parade,” said Kate Lake, the assistant director of Alumni Programs. “[Former UM defensive lineman and No. 1 draft pick of the 1991 draft] Russell Maryland, UM President Donna E. Shalala, Sebastian the Ibis, Band of the Hour and UM cheerleaders will be walking along side the floats. We expect it to be a lot of fun.”

Immediately following the parade, the pep rally will begin at 8 p.m. along with the boat burning ceremony and fireworks at 9 p.m., which will take place along the waterfront of Lake Osceola in the center of campus.
During the burning of the boat, the tradition states that if the mast breaks before the boat sinks, UM will win the homecoming football game.

And according to Syed, sheets with Wake Forest’s logo will be on the boat and burned as well.

Then the high-energy night will come to a close with a concert on the University Green at 9:30 p.m. featuring performances by N*E*R*D and opening act Kidz in the Hall.

Syed said many students are excited about the concert, various vendors and the overall fun-filled atmosphere on campus this week.

“I’m really looking forward to the concert this year,” senior Eling Tsai said. “The previous two have been a lot of fun, so I expect this one to be just as good.”

On Saturday, the Hurricane football team will take on Wake Forest at noon in Dolphin Stadium.

“If people aren’t participating in the activities, we really encourage them to come out to see this beautiful tradition here at UM,” Syed said. “It’s something everyone should be a part of.”

-Alma Mater singing competition and Spirit Tree
UC Rock, 12:30 p.m.

-2008 Homecoming Parade
Stanford Drive, 7 p.m.

-Hurricane Howl
After parade; Lake Osceola, Showmobile, UC Green and Patio
6 p.m. Kidsville
8:15 p.m. Pep rally
9 p.m. Boat burning/fireworks
9:30 p.m. Concert/Howl begins

-Homecoming Game: UM vs. Wake Forest
Dolphin Stadium, kickoff at noon

-50th and Old Timers Reunion
BankUnited Center, 5 p.m.

-Bruce Hornsby and Friends
BankUnited Center, 8 p.m.

-Alumni “Last Call” at the Rat
Rathskeller, 9 p.m. to midnight

-Alumni Avenue (Reunion Parties)
Stanford Circle, 6:30-11 p.m.

-Pregame Celebration
Dolphin Stadium – Gate C, 9:30 a.m.

-Farewell Brunch
The Kampong in Coconut Grove, 10:30 a.m. to noon

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...