Coconut Grove Beat Notebook

Oct. 31 is more than just a holiday in Coconut Grove, it’s a cultural occasion. Grove-going regulars are sure to find their favorite hotspots packed with Miamians of all shapes and sizes in costume. From Grand Avenue to Peacock Park and up and down Main Highway, clusters of costumed companions will stretch as far as the eye can see. UM students are bound to bump into an ex-roommate or a classmate or two at the biggest impromptu Halloween party in South Florida.

Scarefest, the spectacularly spooky house of horror in the Grove, is open now until Nov. 2. Known as Miami’s ultimate haunted house, it features a cast of live characters, over 20,000 square feet of space, 15 rooms, two stories and a different theme for every room. Scarefest is located on the third and fourth floors of Cocowalk, located at 3015 Grand Ave. More information can be found at scaremiami.com.

Looking to make a difference this fall? Miami’s Salvation Army is asking for Halloween themed donations to help with the construction of their fun house. Officials are asking for various items including decorations, costumes for adult men, party food, packaged candy and prizes. Volunteers to help with the event are also welcome. To make a donation or for more information on volunteering call 305-573-4200 ext. 205.

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...