Coconut Grove Beat Notebook

Oct. 31 is more than just a holiday in Coconut Grove, it’s a cultural occasion. Grove-going regulars are sure to find their favorite hotspots packed with Miamians of all shapes and sizes in costume. From Grand Avenue to Peacock Park and up and down Main Highway, clusters of costumed companions will stretch as far as the eye can see. UM students are bound to bump into an ex-roommate or a classmate or two at the biggest impromptu Halloween party in South Florida.

Scarefest, the spectacularly spooky house of horror in the Grove, is open now until Nov. 2. Known as Miami’s ultimate haunted house, it features a cast of live characters, over 20,000 square feet of space, 15 rooms, two stories and a different theme for every room. Scarefest is located on the third and fourth floors of Cocowalk, located at 3015 Grand Ave. More information can be found at scaremiami.com.

Looking to make a difference this fall? Miami’s Salvation Army is asking for Halloween themed donations to help with the construction of their fun house. Officials are asking for various items including decorations, costumes for adult men, party food, packaged candy and prizes. Volunteers to help with the event are also welcome. To make a donation or for more information on volunteering call 305-573-4200 ext. 205.

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...