Volleyball

Volleyball continues its hot streak, sweeps weekend matches

The University of Miami volleyball team finished off its season-long home stand by winning all five matches over a three-week span.

Miami (19-2, 7-2) sits in second place in the Atlantic Coast Conference behind reigning champion Clemson (15-5, 7-2). The squad has now won six in a row overall and its last 12 at the Knight Sports Complex.

On Friday night, the Canes swept N.C. State and improved to 9-0 all-time against the Wolfpack (9-15, 3-6).

Freshman outside hitter Lane Carico, senior middle blocker Angelica Ellis and sophomore setter Katie Gallagher recorded kills to start the set and jump the Canes out to an early 7-1 lead before N.C. State burnt a timeout. The Hurricanes never trailed in the first set and looked dominant in the next two.

“N.C. State has been an up and down team,” Gallagher said. “This team has upset a lot of good teams this year and we just wanted to come out with a lot of energy and prove we were the better team.”

As a team, the Canes tallied 10 service aces compared to the Wolfpack’s two.

Libero Cassie Loessberg led the team in digs with 22, while Gallagher dished out 29 assists amd chipped in with seven digs and three service aces.

Saturday night’s match, however, took four sets for Miami to beat the Tar Heels, 20-25, 25-21, 25-19, 25-23.

Going into the match, UNC (11-9, 5-4) was ranked first in the ACC in digs.

For the seventh time this year, UM dropped the first set and battled back to win.

Junior outside hitter Genny Mayhew and Carico each recorded double-doubles as the Canes outserved the Tar Heels 8-3. On the season, Miami has 54 more service aces than their opponents.

Fatigue may have played a factor for North Carolina, who won a five-set match Friday night against Florida State and traveled overnight.

Miami now heads on the road to face Virginia (12-9, 4-5) at 7 p.m. Friday and Virginia Tech (16-4, 7-2) at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...