Soccer

Soccer snaps winless skid at eight, wins 1-0

The University of Miami women’s soccer team defeated the host Clemson Tigers 1-0 in double overtime Thursday night to snap an eight-game winless streak dating back to Sept. 16.

Freshman forward Julianne Rickers scored the lone goal in the 105th minute as the Hurricanes (8-6-2, 1-4-1) earned their first ACC victory.

“It felt good,” Rickers said. “Our team was focused the whole time and outshot and outplayed them.”

Freshman goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo recorded four saves in her eighth shutout of the season against the Tigers (5-7-1, 1-4-1).

Miami faces the ninth-ranked Duke Blue Devils (10-2-1, 2-1-1) Thursday night at Cobb Stadium.

“We played really well and we really earned it today,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “We were focused, disciplined and with the experiences we’ve had, it’s made us better. It shows a lot of character and it got us over the edge to play with more grit and will.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...