Soccer

Soccer snaps winless skid at eight, wins 1-0

The University of Miami women’s soccer team defeated the host Clemson Tigers 1-0 in double overtime Thursday night to snap an eight-game winless streak dating back to Sept. 16.

Freshman forward Julianne Rickers scored the lone goal in the 105th minute as the Hurricanes (8-6-2, 1-4-1) earned their first ACC victory.

“It felt good,” Rickers said. “Our team was focused the whole time and outshot and outplayed them.”

Freshman goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo recorded four saves in her eighth shutout of the season against the Tigers (5-7-1, 1-4-1).

Miami faces the ninth-ranked Duke Blue Devils (10-2-1, 2-1-1) Thursday night at Cobb Stadium.

“We played really well and we really earned it today,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “We were focused, disciplined and with the experiences we’ve had, it’s made us better. It shows a lot of character and it got us over the edge to play with more grit and will.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...