We have to put things into perspective

Pravin Patel

Pravin Patel

Over a month ago, the University of Miami Hurricanes football team faced off against the Florida Gators. Despite the fact that the Canes fell victim to the Gator chomp, the game had people talking.

The game stirred up Hurricane-sized winds which swept through Coral Gables. It had Canes fans thinking: the Canes are back!

Over a month later, things are so great in Hurricane Nation. The Canes are coming off back-to-back losses against North Carolina and Florida State and a not-so-impressive win against Central Florida.

In little over a month, the tides have turned from talks of the Hurricanes cakewalking to an ACC title to questions about whether or not the Canes will finish with a winning record.

Honestly, everyone needs to take a step back and put things into perspective.

I will admit, I was one of the first to think the Canes were going to walk away with an ACC title, but that was the fan in me taking over.

On the same token, I am not going to make the same mistake when it comes to the 180. I am not going to write this team off.

Although it is not an excuse for their performance, this team is young. But, they are good. They are really good.

What everyone has to remember is that these players need some time to adjust and develop, which means we have to go through the growing pains.

Over the last couple years, we have gone through pain. Period.

We have not gone through “growing pains.”

This season is different.

We can see these players developing before us.

And I know that everyone is probably questioning my sanity right now, with the recent quarterback play.

But think about it. We have gone from heralding Robert Marve and Jacory Harris as the second coming of Tim Tebow and Vince Young to questioning their abilities, in their totality.

It is exactly this that I have to warn everyone against.

I understand that as fans, emotions are a major part of the game and what being a fan is all about, but we have to keep things in perspective.

There is no doubt these players have the skill. We just have to let them go out there, make some mistakes and grow.

If we can sit tight for another year, we will all be the better for it.

Do not get me wrong, this season has not gone down the tubes. By no means is this true.

This season presents a lot of opportunity to grow and to even (yes I am saying it) succeed.

But, if we can get through this season and allow these young players to get out there and develop, we will be on the path to where we once saw this team.

The motto of this team, from the beginning of the season has been “no excuses.”

I am not sitting here and making excuses for this team.

I am simply putting things into perspective.

Pravin Patel

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...