Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Shannon joins Coach to Cure Muscular Dystrophy

On Oct. 25, head coach Randy Shannon will join college football coaches from around the country to fight Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy by wearing an armband with a Coach to Cure MD symbol. The American Football Coaches Association and Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy will raise awareness and funds for research.

Football fans can donate to muscular dystrophy research either online at CoachToCureMD.org or by texting the word “CURE” to 90999 to automatically donate $5 from their mobile phones.

Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy is the most common fatal genetic disorder diagnosed during childhood. It primarily affects boys and occurs across all races and cultures.

GOLF

Hurricanes finish 12th at Starmount Fall Classic

Sophomore Maria Ronderos and freshman Jennifer Hirano both fired a five-over-par 76 in the final round Tuesday to finish tied for 22nd at the Starmount Fall Classic in Greensboro, N.C. with a total of 230 over three rounds.

Miami posted a score of 937. Host UNC Greensboro and East Carolina tied for the team title by shooting an 894.

BASKETBALL

Paradise Jam tickets on sale

Miami will compete in the ninth annual U.S. Virgin Islands Paradise Jam at the University of Virgin Islands, which takes place Nov. 21-24.

The award-winning Frenchman’s Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort is the tournament home for teams, the media and the event organizers.

Room and ticket packages are available through Basketball Travelers at www.paradisejam.com/pages/m_travelpackage.htm.

The Hurricanes will face Southern Mississippi on Nov. 21 at 1 p.m. in the four-round tournament. Of the eight teams competing, four made it to the NCAA Tournament last year: Miami, Wisconsin, Connecticut and San Diego.

ACADEMICS

Student-athletes exceed national graduation rate

University of Miami student-athletes who entered college between 1998 and 2001 had an overall graduation rate of 81 percent, according to figures released by the NCAA. The national rate was 78 percent for Division 1.

Four teams – men’s diving, women’s basketball, women’s golf and women’s tennis – all recorded a perfect 100 percent graduation rate.

Information compiled from coachtocuremd.org and hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...