South Miami/Kendall Beat Notebook

South Miami Police to carry Tasers

The South Miami Police Department will now be carrying Tasers as part of an initiative to better protect the police force in dangerous situations while minimizing physical damage to offenders. Tasers, when compared to other law enforcement tools such as batons and pepper spray, are said to be more effective in pacifying criminals as well as in lessening misuse of weapons by officers. Although the purchase of 43 Tasers for the police department cost $43,000, money from South Miami taxpayers was not used. Instead, the money for this program came from criminals’ withheld possessions.

Footworks to host charity events

Footworks, a specialty shoe store in South Miami, is sponsoring a number of upcoming events. The most noteworthy is this weekend’s “Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure,” a 5K marathon at Bayfront Park in downtown Miami. Profits will go towards breast cancer research nationally and locally. Other charity events are the Waterford 5K next Thursday, and the Hometown Half Marathon in January. Footworks is also hosting a number of training classes and triathlons that anyone is welcome to sign up for.

Construction of ‘green’ branch of Baptist Hospital begins

Construction has begun for a West Kendall branch of Baptist Hospital. This will be South Florida’s first “green” hospital, with accommodations such as computers that connect patients directly to the nursing station. This new hospital will also benefit members of the West Kendall community that may be unable to make the long drive to the main Baptist branch. The building is projected to open by 2011.

Splitsville to open next week

Splitsville, a bowling and dinner lounge in Sunset Place of South Miami, is planned to open next week. The luxury venue houses thirteen lanes, four cocktail bars, a VIP area with a gourmet menu and a sushi bar. Aside from bowling, Splitsville also offers entertainment such as a sports bar equipped with plasma TVs and a dancefloor where music is played throughout the night.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...