South Miami/Kendall Beat Notebook

South Miami Police to carry Tasers

The South Miami Police Department will now be carrying Tasers as part of an initiative to better protect the police force in dangerous situations while minimizing physical damage to offenders. Tasers, when compared to other law enforcement tools such as batons and pepper spray, are said to be more effective in pacifying criminals as well as in lessening misuse of weapons by officers. Although the purchase of 43 Tasers for the police department cost $43,000, money from South Miami taxpayers was not used. Instead, the money for this program came from criminals’ withheld possessions.

Footworks to host charity events

Footworks, a specialty shoe store in South Miami, is sponsoring a number of upcoming events. The most noteworthy is this weekend’s “Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure,” a 5K marathon at Bayfront Park in downtown Miami. Profits will go towards breast cancer research nationally and locally. Other charity events are the Waterford 5K next Thursday, and the Hometown Half Marathon in January. Footworks is also hosting a number of training classes and triathlons that anyone is welcome to sign up for.

Construction of ‘green’ branch of Baptist Hospital begins

Construction has begun for a West Kendall branch of Baptist Hospital. This will be South Florida’s first “green” hospital, with accommodations such as computers that connect patients directly to the nursing station. This new hospital will also benefit members of the West Kendall community that may be unable to make the long drive to the main Baptist branch. The building is projected to open by 2011.

Splitsville to open next week

Splitsville, a bowling and dinner lounge in Sunset Place of South Miami, is planned to open next week. The luxury venue houses thirteen lanes, four cocktail bars, a VIP area with a gourmet menu and a sushi bar. Aside from bowling, Splitsville also offers entertainment such as a sports bar equipped with plasma TVs and a dancefloor where music is played throughout the night.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...