Our opinion: Caffeine is the drug we can all get behind

At this point in the day, most of you have likely consumed some caffeine. Whether it’s in that precious morning cup of your favorite Starbucks dark roast or in a can of Coca-Cola with lunch, caffeine is America’s most popular drug, and we get hooked early.

If you’re a caffeine junkie, whether you’d like to admit it or not, you know what its like to wake up in the morning and fiend. Your eyes open to the glaring daylight and all you can think about is either rolling over and hiding under the covers or brewing up a fresh cup of java. In the time between waking up and taking that first sip, you barely feel human. Once that hot caffeinated beverage hits your lips and goes down your throat, you feel that tingle down your spine and once again, you’re a person. It might as well be Popeye getting a hold of some primo spinach. 

But caffeine goes way beyond your cup of joe in the morning. All the cool kids are pounding energy drinks like it’s going out of style. It’s almost cultish. First it started with Red Bull, then Monster, Rockstar, Cocaine and now the ever-present 5-Hour Energy. Can you believe it? A five-hour boost of energy with no crash! There must be fine print somewhere around here. So what if you collapse on your laptop at five hours and one minute?

Now it’s even spread into our good old friend alcohol. Bawls and Sparks have become staples of the party circuit, increasing your energy while decreasing your inhibitions. Doesn’t that sound fantastic?

But fortunately, there’s some good news. There is little we can tell you about the negative effects of caffeine because, well, there aren’t many. Unless of course you’re pregnant, or have high or low blood pressure or chronic ulcers.

Studies show that if you keep your intake below 70 to 100 cups of coffee in a single day, there’s little chance of death. So however you get that energy fix that’ll keep you up for three days straight during finals, just know that it may even help prevent Alzheimer’s later down the road.

Editorial Board

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Our opinion: Caffeine is the drug we can all get behind”

1. zoo says:

If people are going into debt with student loans to fund their caffeine addiction at places like starsucks, then their addiction to caffeine is harmful because they will be paying compounding interest on all those wasteful cups of coffee for years to come and probably have to delay buying a house or starting a family because they couldn’t control their addiction much the same way a heroin addict who shoots up daily at a government sponsored injection site in vancouver bc can’t control hers and whose life is also ruined. drugs are drugs are drugs and caffeine from the coffee plant which was discovered in yemen many years ago is a drug just like so many others.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...