Letters to the Editor

In response to Jenna King

When I read Jenna King’s opinion piece, I could barely believe the pity party that she threw for the Republican party. Despite her line of thinking, media bias is not the only reason why the Republican Party, and John McCain in particular, is unpopular. Give voters some credit — not all Democrats are mindless drones who take CNN at face value. Some voters actually take the time to look at issues, and this is why John McCain is doing poorly in national polls.

Yes, Sen. McCain has served in government for a much longer period of time than Barack Obama, but this does not equal success. In fact, his 26 years as a congressman are exactly the reason why I will not be voting for Sen. McCain this November. As a woman, I find his position on access to reproductive healthcare to be extremely unsettling. As well, he refused to vote for legislation that would give women equal pay in the workforce, and he also voted (twice!) against a landmark anti-domestic violence act. The Violence Against Women Act, which was actually drafted by Joe Biden, protects women against rape and assault and provides funding to organizations that help women and children in abusive situations. But perhaps Ms. King is fine with having a president who thinks that marital or date rape shouldn’t be punished severely.

Women’s issues are not the only area where Sen. McCain’s 26 year record does not serve him well. For example, Sen. McCain’s record on healthcare is not pretty. He voted against providing health insurance to needy children through the bipartisan SCHIP program and also voted against measures to increase consumer access to privatized healthcare. His insistence on market-based health care plans will continue to leave millions without coverage. Ms. King wants someone who has “real experience with domestic and foreign affairs.” But if that experience shows such a poor voting record, is John McCain really a better option than the newcomer?

– Sivan Goobich

Senior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “In response to Jenna King”

1. Your friends at the Law School says:

Ms. Goobich,

The Violence Against Women Act, specifically the part that protects women against rape and assault, was ruled unconstitutional in United States v. Morrison, 529 U.S. 598 (2000). Did John McCain vote against it for that reason? Well, I don’t know. But a Senator like Joe Biden who drafts legislation that usurps our governing document isn’t exactly the shining beacon of progressivism that you should desire either.

Love,
    Your friends at the Law School

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...