CD Review: Ben Folds’ ‘Way to Normal’

Ben Folds is back! The studio was a much-needed escape for singer/songwriter Ben Folds following his two-year divorce proceedings. Now, Folds’ third LP, Way to Normal, is a celebration of his newfound liberty and return to identity.

Regina Spektor hooks up with Folds for “You Don’t Know Me,” a moving reflection about lovers who realize they don’t understand the most central things about each other. “If I’m the person who you say I am, clueless chump you seem to think I am, so he’s been led astray like an errant dog,” they sing. In my opinion it’s one of the most moving songs on the album.

“The bitch went nuts, she stabbed my basketball and the speakers to my stereo.” Way to Normal is at its most daring during “Bitch Went Nuts,” a sick-nasty track that guarantees to appeal to dumped dudes everywhere. This track almost didn’t make the cut because this was the first time that Folds had written a track with the word “bitch” in it but, Folds being Folds, he decided that the track was just too much fun to leave off the album.

Ben Folds maintains that Way to Normal is the most fun he’s had recording… and with that said, it’s a feeling that will most certainly resonate with listeners.

Matt Levin

Contributing EDGE Writer

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...