Spotted On Site: Ji-Wah Ng

Although she claims to be “plain, ordinary and average,” University of Miami sophomore Ji-Wah Ng seems to be far from it, judging by her various hobbies and skills. Ng took four years of Spanish and wants to learn Japanese next, though she is already fluent in both Mandarin and Cantonese.  She enjoys Latin dancing, aspires to travel and possibly become a nurse. With so many interests, life is exciting and colorful.

The Miami Hurricane: Why did you choose to go to UM as opposed to other schools?

Ji-Wah Ng: This school has a very good nursing program and it takes care of its students.

TMH: What do you plan to do after you finish school?

JN: I plan to go to California. It has been a plan for a while, plus my brother and his fiance live there and my parents plan to retire there so it just seems right. Also, California as a state is on top for medical things.

TMH: What do you do for fun?

JN: I didn’t really do much last semester, but this semester I am doing aikido at the Wellness Center, and Miami Ballroom which teaches you many dances. In the first hour, we do a Latin dance and in the second hour we do a classic ballroom dance. Both of these classes are a form of exercise for me. It is something fun and teaches you new things.

TMH: What is one thing people wouldn’t expect about you?

JN: Well, I’m really just plain and ordinary so there really isn’t anything someone wouldn’t expect. I’m just average at everything. Although, I do like quotes. I have a ton of quote books.

TMH: What is your favorite quote?

JN: Oh, now that’s a tough question. There are bunches I love, like this one: “People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.”