Indie Spotlight: MGMT

With a debut album that was in the top 100 on the US Billboard charts and as high as No. 12 in the UK, MGMT is making big waves in the music industry. And after touring with artists like M.I.A., Beck and Radiohead, they definitely deserve your attention over the Leona Lewises of the world.

The Brooklyn-based duo, made up of Ben Goldwasser and Andrew VanWyngarden, originally met at Wesleyan University and supposedly didn’t plan on forming a band. But, the music gods apparently knew the two were meant to create a new sound together. Soon after graduating, the boys sparked some interest from a few NYU students, who subsequently created record label Cantora Records just to release a debut EP from MGMT.

The EP, entitled Time to Pretend, features the early stages of the experimental rock/electronic sound they’re now known for. And, the sound was apparently innovative enough to impress the folks over at Columbia Records.

Last October, Columbia released the band’s debut major label release, titled Oracular Spectacular. The album features feel-good, upbeat singles “Electric Feel,” “Kids” and “Time to Pretend.” On “Electric Feel,” MGMT uses high-pitched singing and simple, synthesized production to get listeners to just “do what you feel now.”

With a sound that’s so new and different, MGMT forces listeners to forget classifications and just listen to some positive music that you wish you’d heard a long time ago. Prefix Magazine describes MGMT as “a college-dorm experiment gone horribly right.” Perhaps that’s all they are – but just like Penicillin, MGMT is a brilliant mistake.

Check out more from MGMT at myspace.com/mgmt.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...