Indie Spotlight: MGMT

With a debut album that was in the top 100 on the US Billboard charts and as high as No. 12 in the UK, MGMT is making big waves in the music industry. And after touring with artists like M.I.A., Beck and Radiohead, they definitely deserve your attention over the Leona Lewises of the world.

The Brooklyn-based duo, made up of Ben Goldwasser and Andrew VanWyngarden, originally met at Wesleyan University and supposedly didn’t plan on forming a band. But, the music gods apparently knew the two were meant to create a new sound together. Soon after graduating, the boys sparked some interest from a few NYU students, who subsequently created record label Cantora Records just to release a debut EP from MGMT.

The EP, entitled Time to Pretend, features the early stages of the experimental rock/electronic sound they’re now known for. And, the sound was apparently innovative enough to impress the folks over at Columbia Records.

Last October, Columbia released the band’s debut major label release, titled Oracular Spectacular. The album features feel-good, upbeat singles “Electric Feel,” “Kids” and “Time to Pretend.” On “Electric Feel,” MGMT uses high-pitched singing and simple, synthesized production to get listeners to just “do what you feel now.”

With a sound that’s so new and different, MGMT forces listeners to forget classifications and just listen to some positive music that you wish you’d heard a long time ago. Prefix Magazine describes MGMT as “a college-dorm experiment gone horribly right.” Perhaps that’s all they are – but just like Penicillin, MGMT is a brilliant mistake.

Check out more from MGMT at myspace.com/mgmt.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...