South Miami/Kendall Beat Notebook

South Floridians adopt pets at Adoption Day

Miami-Dade Animal Services celebrated its third birthday by hosting an Anniversary Adoption Day on Sunday. South Florida residents were able to adopt dogs and cats for a $50 refundable adoption fee and received a gift in return. Animal services also accepted donations of dog and cat toys to benefit animals in local shelters.

Boating Safety Awareness Day this Saturday

Boating Safety Awareness Day is scheduled to take place this Saturday from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. at Black Point Marina in Cutler Bay. The event will include demonstrations from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue and Police Marine Operations, U.S Coast Guard Auxiliary, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Boaters will be taught different safety tips and reminded about maritime rules and regulations.

Cosmetology school hosts breast cancer charity event

The Paul Mitchell Hi-Tech School of Cosmetology hosted the third annual Cut for the Cure last Sunday. The event was sponsored by Elite Salon Systems and Paul Mitchell hair products. For $15, participants throughout South Florida were able to get their hair cut and styled with proceeds going towards breast cancer research at the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Whole Foods hosts “Healthy Happy Hour”

Enjoy a “Healthy Happy Hour” at the Pinecrest Whole Foods Market between 6 and 8 p.m. on Friday. Guests can get $1 off a smoothie or veggie juice by LaPeca, Whole Foods’ resident “Juice Bar Queen,” as well as munch on complimentary nutritious appetizers. Local guitar legend, Peter Betan, will be there performing live music for the duration of the event.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...