South Miami/Kendall Beat Notebook

South Floridians adopt pets at Adoption Day

Miami-Dade Animal Services celebrated its third birthday by hosting an Anniversary Adoption Day on Sunday. South Florida residents were able to adopt dogs and cats for a $50 refundable adoption fee and received a gift in return. Animal services also accepted donations of dog and cat toys to benefit animals in local shelters.

Boating Safety Awareness Day this Saturday

Boating Safety Awareness Day is scheduled to take place this Saturday from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. at Black Point Marina in Cutler Bay. The event will include demonstrations from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue and Police Marine Operations, U.S Coast Guard Auxiliary, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Boaters will be taught different safety tips and reminded about maritime rules and regulations.

Cosmetology school hosts breast cancer charity event

The Paul Mitchell Hi-Tech School of Cosmetology hosted the third annual Cut for the Cure last Sunday. The event was sponsored by Elite Salon Systems and Paul Mitchell hair products. For $15, participants throughout South Florida were able to get their hair cut and styled with proceeds going towards breast cancer research at the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Whole Foods hosts “Healthy Happy Hour”

Enjoy a “Healthy Happy Hour” at the Pinecrest Whole Foods Market between 6 and 8 p.m. on Friday. Guests can get $1 off a smoothie or veggie juice by LaPeca, Whole Foods’ resident “Juice Bar Queen,” as well as munch on complimentary nutritious appetizers. Local guitar legend, Peter Betan, will be there performing live music for the duration of the event.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...