Football

Matchup: Miami vs. Central Florida

Quarterback: Last week, Miami’s Robert Marve and Jacory Harris both did their job, although the stats do not indicate it. They delivered the ball to their receivers which is all they can do. They each threw interceptions, but that is part of football. They continue to impress and should both continue to play. Marve could be in for a career day against a defense that surrenders 258 yards per game though the air. For UCF, Michael Greco does not throw often and is only completing 52 percent of his passes. This is especially disheartening when one considers that UCF has played such heavyweights as SMU, UTEP and South Carolina State in their first five games. EDGE: Miami

Running Back: Javarris James may rejoin Graig Cooper in the Hurricane backfield this week, but even if he does not, Miami has to do a better job of running the ball this week. UCF is a run-heavy offense, averaging 151.5 yards per game. They are led by freshman Ronnie Weaver; however, he only averages 3.7 yards per carry. EDGE: Miami

Receivers: UCF definitely has the best name on the field in Rocky Ross, who narrowly edges out Kayne Farquharson. However, that is where the Golden Knight advantage ends. Miami’s receivers were awful for the most part last week, but Aldarious Johnson and Travis Benjamin showed that they are big-game ready. With the possible return of Thearon Collier and the assumed re-emergence of either Leonard Hankerson or Farquharson, Miami has more talent. EDGE: Miami

Offensive Line: Miami’s line struggled last week, affording the quarterbacks little time and rarely creating holes in the run game. They will have to play better, but UCF will not be a good barometer. They are giving up over 100 rushing yards per game to go with the shaky pass defense. Hopefully no linemen have to score this week. EDGE: Miami

Defensive Line: The Miami front is not generating any pressure, and now they lose their best pass rusher in Eric Moncur. UCF has not been much better, generating only 10 sacks so far despite the weak competition. Miami has more talent and has at least shown against earlier opponents that they can make the opposing quarterback uncomfortable. EDGE: Miami

Linebacker: Sean Spence is Miami’s best player, and Glenn Cook has been solid. Losing Colin McCarthy for the season hurts, but look for Arthur Brown and Jordan Futch to get more snaps. This is a talented group. Lawrence Young has 5 tackles for a loss for the Knights. EDGE: Miami

Secondary: Miami’s has been bad. So has UCF’s. Jason Venson leads the Knights in tackles and interceptions. EDGE: Even

Special Teams: Benjamin single-handedly kept the Hurricanes in the game last week with his electric returns. Matt Bosher has been excellent as well. For UCF, former Cane Darren Daly leads the team in scoring. Better them than us. EDGE: Miami

Dan Stein