Volleyball team splits weekend away matches

DEFEND: Katie Gallagher defends against Clemson, who defeated the Hurricanes on Friday. UM is now 3-2 in the ACC. Photo by RYAN BOURY // The Tiger

The University of Miami volleyball team concluded its longest road trip of the season by splitting its conference matches against Clemson (11-5, 3-2) and Georgia Tech (11-4, 3-2).

UM was swept by the Tigers Friday night, but bounced back and defeated the Yellow Jackets 3-1 on Saturday.

Miami’s record now stands at 14-2 overall and 3-2 in the ACC.

Doomed by their second-lowest hitting percentage of the season (.156) and 23 unforced errors, the Hurricanes were defeated by the reigning ACC champions.

The Canes dropped to 1-7 all-time against Clemson and 0-5 at Jervey Gym in South Carolina.

Freshman outside hitter Lane Carico once again played strong in a losing effort as she was the only Cane to register double digits in kills, with 16. Sophomore setter Katie Gallagher chipped in with 33 assists and junior libero Cassie Loessberg had a match-high 20 digs.

“We didn’t play well Friday, but we were playing a very good team in Clemson,” head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “What I am most proud of is our ability to respond in a tough, loud environment at Georgia Tech. We ended our road trip playing some good volleyball.”

After starting the season with 13 consecutive wins, the Hurricanes took a two-game losing skid to Georgia Tech.

Gallagher notched three of Miami’s seven service aces while the entire Yellow Jackets team had just three service aces the entire match. Carico recorded her eighth double-double in the last nine games.

Junior outside hitter Genny Mayhew had a team-high 20 kills and redshirt senior Ashley Woods tallied 15 kills while only committing one error.

With the victory, the Canes matched their win total from all of last season.

After traveling on the road for five straight matches, the Canes begin a five-game home stand Tuesday at 7 p.m. against Florida Atlantic and do not hit the road again until Oct. 24th. A couple of weeks ago the orange and green swept the Owls in Boca Raton.

The Canes also play host to ACC foes Boston College (6-10, 0-4) and Maryland (5-12, 1-4) on Friday and Sunday respectively.

“We are playing great volleyball, but it is still early in the season and we have a lot of work to do,” Lantagne Welch said. “We have a chance in every match and the key is that our offense is clicking very nicely.”