Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

Sophomore competes in consolation final

At the Riviera/ITA All-American Championships in Pacific Palisades, Calif., sophomore transfer Julia Cohen, ranked 25th nationally, fell in straight sets 6-4, 6-2 to fifth-ranked Amanda Fink of Southern California in the consolation main draw championship on Sunday morning.

In the semifinals, Cohen pulled an upset over Louisiana State’s 15th-ranked Megan Falcon, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.

Cross Country

Men and women finish in top three

The University of Miami men’s and women’s cross country teams finished third and second, respectively, at the Florida Runners Invitational on Friday evening in Titusville, Fla.

Freshman Anna Bona led the women with a time of 19:08. Of the 11 teams at the meet, Central Florida took the title.

Senior Ryan Woodlee once again set the pace for the men by finishing third individually at 26:26. Florida International and Nova Southeastern took the top two spots.

Swimming/Diving

Season-opening split against Florida Gulf Coast and Florida State

Miami (1-1) picked up 12 top-five finishes as well as first place in the 400 freestyle relay on Saturday morning at the Norman Whitten Pool. The Hurricanes defeated Florida Golf Coast University 143-103, but fell 99-149 to Florida State.

Junior diver Reuben Ross, who competed at the Beijing Olympics for Canada, took second in the men’s one-meter springboard with a score of 344.45 while sophomore J.J. Kinzbach finished fifth (282.55).

In the three-meter springboard, Ross and Kinzbach collected first and third respectively.

The women’s diving team swept the 1m and 3m springboards with senior Jenna Dryer, who took part in the Olympics for South Africa, freshman Kelci Bryant, who participated for the United States and sophomore national champion Brittany Viola.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...