Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

Sophomore competes in consolation final

At the Riviera/ITA All-American Championships in Pacific Palisades, Calif., sophomore transfer Julia Cohen, ranked 25th nationally, fell in straight sets 6-4, 6-2 to fifth-ranked Amanda Fink of Southern California in the consolation main draw championship on Sunday morning.

In the semifinals, Cohen pulled an upset over Louisiana State’s 15th-ranked Megan Falcon, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.

Cross Country

Men and women finish in top three

The University of Miami men’s and women’s cross country teams finished third and second, respectively, at the Florida Runners Invitational on Friday evening in Titusville, Fla.

Freshman Anna Bona led the women with a time of 19:08. Of the 11 teams at the meet, Central Florida took the title.

Senior Ryan Woodlee once again set the pace for the men by finishing third individually at 26:26. Florida International and Nova Southeastern took the top two spots.

Swimming/Diving

Season-opening split against Florida Gulf Coast and Florida State

Miami (1-1) picked up 12 top-five finishes as well as first place in the 400 freestyle relay on Saturday morning at the Norman Whitten Pool. The Hurricanes defeated Florida Golf Coast University 143-103, but fell 99-149 to Florida State.

Junior diver Reuben Ross, who competed at the Beijing Olympics for Canada, took second in the men’s one-meter springboard with a score of 344.45 while sophomore J.J. Kinzbach finished fifth (282.55).

In the three-meter springboard, Ross and Kinzbach collected first and third respectively.

The women’s diving team swept the 1m and 3m springboards with senior Jenna Dryer, who took part in the Olympics for South Africa, freshman Kelci Bryant, who participated for the United States and sophomore national champion Brittany Viola.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...