Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

Sophomore competes in consolation final

At the Riviera/ITA All-American Championships in Pacific Palisades, Calif., sophomore transfer Julia Cohen, ranked 25th nationally, fell in straight sets 6-4, 6-2 to fifth-ranked Amanda Fink of Southern California in the consolation main draw championship on Sunday morning.

In the semifinals, Cohen pulled an upset over Louisiana State’s 15th-ranked Megan Falcon, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.

Cross Country

Men and women finish in top three

The University of Miami men’s and women’s cross country teams finished third and second, respectively, at the Florida Runners Invitational on Friday evening in Titusville, Fla.

Freshman Anna Bona led the women with a time of 19:08. Of the 11 teams at the meet, Central Florida took the title.

Senior Ryan Woodlee once again set the pace for the men by finishing third individually at 26:26. Florida International and Nova Southeastern took the top two spots.

Swimming/Diving

Season-opening split against Florida Gulf Coast and Florida State

Miami (1-1) picked up 12 top-five finishes as well as first place in the 400 freestyle relay on Saturday morning at the Norman Whitten Pool. The Hurricanes defeated Florida Golf Coast University 143-103, but fell 99-149 to Florida State.

Junior diver Reuben Ross, who competed at the Beijing Olympics for Canada, took second in the men’s one-meter springboard with a score of 344.45 while sophomore J.J. Kinzbach finished fifth (282.55).

In the three-meter springboard, Ross and Kinzbach collected first and third respectively.

The women’s diving team swept the 1m and 3m springboards with senior Jenna Dryer, who took part in the Olympics for South Africa, freshman Kelci Bryant, who participated for the United States and sophomore national champion Brittany Viola.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...