Indie Spotlight: Kid Cudi

Logically speaking, a Kanye West cosign is pretty hard to come by for new artists, or just about any subpar human trying to flex their freshness. But newcomer and genre-crosser Kid Cudi has done just that. The Cleveland-raised Cudi, now a New Yorker, is the newest and arguably the most innovative hip-hop artist to pop up as of late, but he’s working his ass off to make sure he’s not just another hopeful.

Cudi, who was originally signed to DJ A-Trak’s Fool’s Gold Records, began to make some waves on blogs last year when DJ duo Crookers remixed a track of his titled “Day N’ Nite.” The track is something of an electronic enigma – the theme of the song is being lonely and high to the roof, but the Italian DJs made it just as upbeat and danceable as any pop smash.

To follow up on the quick success, Cudi began to release tracks on the Internet before dropping his debut mixtape, A Kid Named Cudi. The result? A 17-track collection of introspective lyricism, soulful singing, catchy melodies, compelling production and a sound bloggers just can’t figure out how to classify.

The versatile Cudi hops on unusual beats and, depending on how the mood strikes, sings or raps or just chats with his listeners, who have no choice but to keep their ears wide open.

With such an oversaturation of mixtapes and new artists flooding the scene, so few can show enough promise and the ability to stay relevant. But with his clever wordplay and a healthy friendship with Kanye West, Cudi is out to conquer his demons and just be a kid named Cudi.

Look for Cudi features on Kanye’s upcoming album, 808′ and Heartbreak, and his own debut, Man on the Moon, which Cudi describes as “the most magnificent and innovative album to come from an artist in ’09.”

Essential Kid Cudi: “Heaven At Nite,” “Cudi Get,” “Embrace the Martian” and “The Prayer.”

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...