Film Review: ‘Appaloosa’ better left in the dust

Virgil Cole (Ed Harris) and Everett Hitch (Viggo Mortensen) are two hardened lawmen strengthened by their bond of friendship. They are commissioned to protect the settlement of Appaloosa from Bragg (Jeremy Irons), a one-dimensional villain. Meanwhile, Cole must deal with his capricious love interest, Allison (Renée Zellweger).

The film’s strongest aspect is the chemistry between Harris and Mortensen. They act like old friends, speaking with bluntness and humor.

The problem is that the rest of the film isn’t nearly as interesting. All the supporting characters are boring and flat, especially Irons. Amazingly, the pace manages to slow as the movie progresses, moving at a crawl by the end. Lastly, the fact that the film has no subtext whatsoever makes the dialogue and situations seem reductive. People don’t say exactly what they mean all the time – not even in the old west.

Though Harris and Mortensen give it a decent shot, their western lacks the appeal and depth of recent genre films The Proposition and 3:10 to Yuma. Check out either of those films for a much better look at the classic American genre.

Rating: 1.5 out of 4

Gabe Habash

Senior EDGE Writer

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...