Film Review: ‘Appaloosa’ better left in the dust

Virgil Cole (Ed Harris) and Everett Hitch (Viggo Mortensen) are two hardened lawmen strengthened by their bond of friendship. They are commissioned to protect the settlement of Appaloosa from Bragg (Jeremy Irons), a one-dimensional villain. Meanwhile, Cole must deal with his capricious love interest, Allison (Renée Zellweger).

The film’s strongest aspect is the chemistry between Harris and Mortensen. They act like old friends, speaking with bluntness and humor.

The problem is that the rest of the film isn’t nearly as interesting. All the supporting characters are boring and flat, especially Irons. Amazingly, the pace manages to slow as the movie progresses, moving at a crawl by the end. Lastly, the fact that the film has no subtext whatsoever makes the dialogue and situations seem reductive. People don’t say exactly what they mean all the time – not even in the old west.

Though Harris and Mortensen give it a decent shot, their western lacks the appeal and depth of recent genre films The Proposition and 3:10 to Yuma. Check out either of those films for a much better look at the classic American genre.

Rating: 1.5 out of 4

Gabe Habash

Senior EDGE Writer

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...