A historic night of cricket at the IM Fields

GEARING UP: Participants in last week’s cricket match. Photo Courtesy Kalpesh Patel.

It was the perfect night Friday as the University of Miami Indian students faced off against the West Indies students in their first ever 20/20 cricket match at the Intramural Fields.

It was a night where competition, fanfare, culture and excitement all came together for this highly anticipated matchup between the two club teams.

“After attending the university for two years, I realized that although the game of cricket was popular in both the West Indies and India, it was not promoted on campus and [it]lost precedence to traditional college sports – basketball, baseball [and]football,” said Kalpesh Patel, captain of the West Indies team and the visionary who put the match together.

Photo Courtesy Kalpesh Patel.

From this initial idea to this week’s historic first cricket match, the process of organizing the event was marked by true passion and dedication.

“It was then that I approached the boards of the Indian Student’s Association, the Trinidad and Tobago Cultural Association and the Organization for Jamaican Unity to promote the game to its members,” Patel said. “Almost immediately we had a great response.”

This great response translated into a great night of cricket.

The night kicked off at 7:30 p.m., as both teams, with full 11 player rosters, took the field in front of a crowd of 35 enthused fans.

Clad in red and black, the West Indies players and fans set the tone early on, as their excitement and passion filled the atmosphere.

The atmosphere remained fiery and flavorful throughout the night by the West Indies-dominated audience, despite the fact that the Indian team took the match by more than 50 runs.

“It was a great night,” said Balram Adlakha, captain of the Indian team. “It’s not because we won but because of how things turned out. It was fun, but it was serious as well. It even got heated at one point. It felt like a real cricket match.”

In the words of Patel, “The match was a great success. The cricket was competitive, and the fans were great.”

After the great success of this inaugural match, Patel plans on continuing on with his endeavor to popularize cricket at the University of Miami.

The first step is to schedule a rematch between the Indian and West Indies teams, who requested a second match within seconds of the end of the first.

Patel said he plans on putting together a rematch sometime in November, where he foresees an even greater turnout based on the excitement that was drawn by this first match.

For this second matchup, Patel plans on having food, drinks and a band. These additional elements are commonplace at cricket matches and Patel believes that they will help add to the game and experience.

Besides this, Patel is looking into seeing if students from other countries – such as England, Pakistan and others – would like to put together teams and get involved in these 20/20 matches.

Said Patel, about his plans, “If we are going to get people interested in the game, we have to show them that cricket is not only a game out in the middle but also an experience of energy, vibes and festival.”

Pravin Patel

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “A historic night of cricket at the IM Fields”

1. Rajendra Sewsarran says:

Hi,

Iam very happy to see cricket is becoming popular at UM. I Graduated from Um in 1984 (BS Mech Eng). I am a Trinidadian and played cricket in the South Florida Cricket League. I played for both Challengers and The Trinidad Team. During that period I tried to ask some West Indian players who had migrated to Miami to assist in starting Cricket at UM. I was hoping that we could get a team together and play in the South Florida League. After I graduated I still wanted to get it going but all the time I had to spend with work , family , etc. time just passed. Presently I live in Trinidad and I visit Miami regularly. I also have a Level one Coaching certificate from the West Indies Cricket Board. I coach at the Digicel Harvard Cricket Clinic and at QRC. I will really like to assit you all in starting this cricket at UM.

If you need any hepl you can either email me or call 374 7957.

Best Wishes
    Rajendra Sewsarran

2. Dogevpr2 says:

Thanks to the Miami Hurricane for covering this cricket game.”Cricket is growing at a faster pace than baseball…or any other sport in the US” according to Sports Illustrated and the media should start recogizing this. Looking forward to the UMiami vs Gators game.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...