Letters to the Editor

Women’s rights and abortion are not synonyms

Wonderful.  Yet another article using “women’s rights” and “abortion” as near synonyms.

Before you accuse me of bias, I am not a Republican. I have doubts about Sarah Palin’s qualifications for the White House, especially when it comes to foreign policy. I may be voting third party.

That being said, Morten Hoi Jensen’s article promotes a counter-productive philosophy. The attitude he espouses has alienated pro-life feminists whose convictions are based not on “religious fanaticism,” but on scientific evidence that a fetus is not a mere extension of the mother’s body. It has misunderstood the needs of women impregnated by rape, 75-85% of whom give birth. Studies suggest that they do so in part because they see abortion as another act of violence against their bodies (http://afterabortion.org/rape.html). Worst of all, abortion has eclipsed issues that all women could rally behind, such as equal pay and the prevention of sexual assault.

The feminist movement is in serious need of reform. Mr. Jensen’s editorial didn’t help.

Kelsey Hazzard (’10)

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Women’s rights and abortion are not synonyms”

1. Elias says:

lesbian movies

2. Matthew says:

You seem to be missing the point, Kelsey.

I doubt that anyone in their right mind would try to link abortion with female empowerment — that would be absurd. However, perhaps pro-choice activists see the availability of choice itself as the greatest power of all.

Think about it. You can either have that child or not. I doubt that anyone involved at Planned Parenthood would look down on a girl who decides to have her child. After all it’s her CHOICE.

Pro-lifers, on the other hand, often seek to demonize women who decide to terminate their pregnancies. Never mind the fact that these people are nowhere to be found in other areas of child welfare, such as health care form, education, etc. That would be too difficult than clutching a Bible and shouting bloody murder.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...