Letters to the Editor

Women’s rights and abortion are not synonyms

Wonderful.  Yet another article using “women’s rights” and “abortion” as near synonyms.

Before you accuse me of bias, I am not a Republican. I have doubts about Sarah Palin’s qualifications for the White House, especially when it comes to foreign policy. I may be voting third party.

That being said, Morten Hoi Jensen’s article promotes a counter-productive philosophy. The attitude he espouses has alienated pro-life feminists whose convictions are based not on “religious fanaticism,” but on scientific evidence that a fetus is not a mere extension of the mother’s body. It has misunderstood the needs of women impregnated by rape, 75-85% of whom give birth. Studies suggest that they do so in part because they see abortion as another act of violence against their bodies (http://afterabortion.org/rape.html). Worst of all, abortion has eclipsed issues that all women could rally behind, such as equal pay and the prevention of sexual assault.

The feminist movement is in serious need of reform. Mr. Jensen’s editorial didn’t help.

Kelsey Hazzard (’10)

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...