Jay-Z, Wyclef Jean to perform in Miami for voter registration, Obama

In a previous issue of The Miami Hurricane, we asked students if famous actors or musicians influenced their political ideology. Though most students admitted they could care less about their favorite star’s presidential favorite, one student said, “If Jay-Z votes for Obama, I’ll vote for Obama.” Well, Obama can rest assured he has at least one more vote from that particular UM student.

This Sunday, the Obama Campaign will sponsor a free, yes free, Jay-Z concert at Bayfront Park for political supporters and hip-hop heads alike. Bayfront Park, known for its lax atmosphere and beautiful backdrop of the Miami skyline, has recently played host venue to shows like Rock the Bells, Warped Tour and will also be home to the 2009 Langerado Festival.

The show, entitled “Last Chance for Change: Voter Registration Rally with Jay-Z,” is absolutely free and open to anyone over 18. Tickets will be distributed starting tomorrow at 10 a.m. at Obama Campaign Headquarters in Coral Gables, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Hialeah, Hollywood, Homestead, Margate and Miami Gardens.

Doors open at 7 p.m. and the show begins at 8:30. Whether you’re an Obama supporter or not, a free Jay-Z night show beside the gorgeous Miami skyline is something you simply cannot miss. Check out the Obama Campaign’s site page at http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/JayZ for more info.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...