Avoiding the culture wars, not the economy

Thomas Prieto

Thomas Prieto

Originally, I had planned to write a rather incendiary article called “The Bridge to Nowhere,” criticizing Sarah Palin’s fib about telling Congress “thanks, but no thanks on that bridge to nowhere” and McCain’s recent misleading ads, but then I had an idea. This is exactly what they want us to do.

The McCain campaign has ingeniously revived the “Culture Wars,” a war they know they can win. The Republican Party has used the “Culture Wars” to help them win elections from Richard Nixon to Ronald Reagan to George W. Bush. They have skillfully manipulated the Obama campaign and the media to stop focusing on important issues like the economy, and instead focus on childish disputes like the “lipstick on a pig” controversy.

This tactic has worked incredibly well for the McCain campaign. McCain has seen a large spike in the polls and, according to realclearpolitics.com, has decreased Obama’s favorability ratings. Even better yet, the McCain campaign has thrown Barack Obama off-balance. Instead of tackling today’s pressing economic issues, the Obama campaign has been forced to spend its time trying to deflect McCain’s attacks.

Sen. Obama has a large advantage over McCain in the economic debate, due to the fact that he is simply not a Republican. Whether correctly or incorrectly, the loosening of regulations that has characterized Republican economics for decades has been blamed for many of our current economic woes. John McCain also suffers from the fact that he has made numerous gaffes in regards to the economy, from the “I don’t know much about economics” gaffe to the “America’s economy is fundamentally sound” gaffe. Also, who could forget his ex-chief economist’s gaffe that we are a “nation of whiners?”

As Bill Clinton’s 1992 campaign proved, “it’s the economy, stupid.” Although this quote is overused, it should provide a lesson to the Obama campaign. The Obama campaign needs to stop worrying about things like the “lipstick on a pig” controversy. Voters are smart enough to see through the spin that is placed on these “controversies.” The Obama campaign needs to focus on making a case as to why their economic policy is the best for America. They must focus on explaining how they will do more for the middle class. It’s time for Sen. Obama to take a page out of the Clinton campaign and remind Republicans that “it’s the economy, stupid.”

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...