American crocodile found dismembered in UM canal Wednesday

A crocodile was found dead and mutilated in a canal on the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus Wednesday.

The American Crocodile, a recovering endangered species, is a common sight around the UM campus. The decapitated and de-tailed body is believed to have been found near the Ponce de Leon garage.

”It’s impossible for us to know at this point what the motivation was,” Officer Jorge Pino of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission told The Miami Herald. “We’re hoping that somebody will get outraged enough to tell us if they’ve heard or seen anything. Right now, the reality is we have little to go on.”

UM is fully cooperating with the FWC investigation. Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call the FWC Wildlife Alert Hotline at 1-888-404-3922 or Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-8477.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

5 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “American crocodile found dismembered in UM canal Wednesday”

1. M Adere says:

Murdered ? Since when are amanils murdered ? Like, do we murder the chickens before we eat them ? Anyway, waste of good gator meat, leaving it lying around to rot like that. What with all the poor people around eating cats and dawgs. Shame on them.

2. even says:

D,

Is this what your parents are payinig for at U.M. EVENON!!!!

I will tell you what, come to my school for less then eveyon else pays. Just head west of Miami and we’ll find you.

Love
    Crocy

3. D says:

Why was the croc evenon campus? that makes NO sense. Not a gator fan – it should have been brought to the everglades, I’m not sheding a tear for the Gator.

4. Marianna says:

I am completely outraged at this. I can’t believe anybody hated our crocodile so much as to murder it :(

however, a more pressing matter is — where was campus security throughout all this??? I am sure that luring, possibly wrestling, killing, and dismembering such a large animal would no doubt make much noise and turbulence… why didn’t anybody notice this going on??

I’m not too happy about walking to my car at Ponce anymore.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...