Our opinion: Input and action from students will boost academic experience

It’s wrong to expect perfection…from anything. So that’s why several film students took it upon themselves to create the Quantum Film Society. Their goal is to provide a unique learning environment outside of the traditional classroom setting. Basically, they attempt to make up for their program’s shortcomings and have recently gained some attention because of it. 

Should students wait for their program directors to realize what is missing? Administrators and teachers say changes are coming, but think about it from a student’s perspective. If you’re a senior graduating this academic year, and the plan is to change the curriculum in fall 2009, you’re going to have some qualms about it.  

There must be some way to compromise. There should be constant communication between students and their schools. Those silly evaluation forms we are forced to fill out are generally worthless. A teacher may beg and plead for you to be as detailed as possible, but as soon as they walk out that door, anonymity takes over and the one word answers begin to flow.

Individual schools need to run focus groups and forums to discuss the issues within the specific programs. Many issues arise in regards to the lack of class selection. It is far too common in certain majors when upperclassmen, specifically seniors, get closed out of a class. The “Dean’s Forum” idea enacted by the Comm School’s Dean Sam Grogg is a great step in making meaningful discussion happen.

Another issue has to do with practicality. Each program should be specifically designed to maximize readiness for the real world. Advisors should be more than just that person you see when you need to make your schedule. They should help work on personalized career goals and be realistic when discussing the future.

Once there is a fully collaborative effort to bring together the students’ needs and the schools’ ability, we will all be closer to living happily ever after.

Editorial Board

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Our opinion: Input and action from students will boost academic experience”

1. Joshua Newman says:

you completely missed the point my friend…

2. Jerals says:

I disagree that each program should be designed to maximize readiness for the real world. If you want that, go to Hawaii Pacific University in Honolulu, one of Palin’s 5 undergraduate schools, aka a career college. I am not taking out huge amounts of student loans so that when I apply to prestigious graduate school programs, my application from UMiami will be snickered at. I attend UM for an intellectually stimulating liberal arts education that teaches me how to think critically. I am not here to learn how to lick envelopes or program a fax machine or hunt game for my ten children.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...