Volleyball

Volleyball team dealt first loss of the season

TEAM EFFORT: The women's volleyball team huddles up at a game against FSU last season. Until a loss Thursday, the team had won 15 straight matches. FILE PHOTO // STEVE ROOT

The University of Miami volleyball team had its 13-game winning streak to start the season – a 15-game streak continuing from last season – snapped Friday night as the Canes were swept by Wake Forest.

UM was off to its second best start in school history, as only the 2002 squad won more games to begin a season. That team started their season 15-0 before faltering.

With the loss, the Canes are now 13-1 and 2-1 in the ACC.

The weekend trip to North Carolina started strong, as Miami defeated Duke 3-1 on Thursday night.

For the sixth time this season, the Canes lost the first set but battled back from adversity and went on to win the match.

This was Miami’s second ever win against Duke. The Blue Devils lead the all-time series 7-2.

Sophomore setter Katie Gallagher led the way for the Hurricanes with 52 assists, while junior libero Cassie Loessberg had a team high 16 digs.

Junior outside hitter Genny Mayhew and the reigning ACC Player of the Week, freshman outside hitter Lane Carico, each recorded double-doubles in kills and digs. Mayhew had 18 kills and 13 digs while Carico tallied 21 kills and 12 digs.

The Hurricanes tried to carry the momentum from Thursday night into Friday’s match in Winston-Salem, but it was to no avail.

Miami was swept 25-19, 25-22 and 25-21. It was the first time all season the Canes lost the second set of a match.

The difference in the match was in kills and assists. The Demon Deacons had 12 more kills and 14 more assists than the Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes kill percentage was the lowest of the season (.114), and they committed their highest amount of errors (18) in a three set match since the season opener against Sacramento State.

Carico played strong in a losing effort. She recorded her fifth straight double-double and seventh overall.

The Hurricanes will look to start a new win streak next weekend when they conclude their five game road trip, as they travel to South Carolina to face Clemson on Friday and Atlanta the following night to take on Georgia Tech. First serve will be at 7 p.m.

Justin Antweil

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...