Volleyball

Volleyball team dealt first loss of the season

TEAM EFFORT: The women's volleyball team huddles up at a game against FSU last season. Until a loss Thursday, the team had won 15 straight matches. FILE PHOTO // STEVE ROOT

The University of Miami volleyball team had its 13-game winning streak to start the season – a 15-game streak continuing from last season – snapped Friday night as the Canes were swept by Wake Forest.

UM was off to its second best start in school history, as only the 2002 squad won more games to begin a season. That team started their season 15-0 before faltering.

With the loss, the Canes are now 13-1 and 2-1 in the ACC.

The weekend trip to North Carolina started strong, as Miami defeated Duke 3-1 on Thursday night.

For the sixth time this season, the Canes lost the first set but battled back from adversity and went on to win the match.

This was Miami’s second ever win against Duke. The Blue Devils lead the all-time series 7-2.

Sophomore setter Katie Gallagher led the way for the Hurricanes with 52 assists, while junior libero Cassie Loessberg had a team high 16 digs.

Junior outside hitter Genny Mayhew and the reigning ACC Player of the Week, freshman outside hitter Lane Carico, each recorded double-doubles in kills and digs. Mayhew had 18 kills and 13 digs while Carico tallied 21 kills and 12 digs.

The Hurricanes tried to carry the momentum from Thursday night into Friday’s match in Winston-Salem, but it was to no avail.

Miami was swept 25-19, 25-22 and 25-21. It was the first time all season the Canes lost the second set of a match.

The difference in the match was in kills and assists. The Demon Deacons had 12 more kills and 14 more assists than the Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes kill percentage was the lowest of the season (.114), and they committed their highest amount of errors (18) in a three set match since the season opener against Sacramento State.

Carico played strong in a losing effort. She recorded her fifth straight double-double and seventh overall.

The Hurricanes will look to start a new win streak next weekend when they conclude their five game road trip, as they travel to South Carolina to face Clemson on Friday and Atlanta the following night to take on Georgia Tech. First serve will be at 7 p.m.

Justin Antweil

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...