Volleyball

Volleyball team dealt first loss of the season

TEAM EFFORT: The women's volleyball team huddles up at a game against FSU last season. Until a loss Thursday, the team had won 15 straight matches. FILE PHOTO // STEVE ROOT

The University of Miami volleyball team had its 13-game winning streak to start the season – a 15-game streak continuing from last season – snapped Friday night as the Canes were swept by Wake Forest.

UM was off to its second best start in school history, as only the 2002 squad won more games to begin a season. That team started their season 15-0 before faltering.

With the loss, the Canes are now 13-1 and 2-1 in the ACC.

The weekend trip to North Carolina started strong, as Miami defeated Duke 3-1 on Thursday night.

For the sixth time this season, the Canes lost the first set but battled back from adversity and went on to win the match.

This was Miami’s second ever win against Duke. The Blue Devils lead the all-time series 7-2.

Sophomore setter Katie Gallagher led the way for the Hurricanes with 52 assists, while junior libero Cassie Loessberg had a team high 16 digs.

Junior outside hitter Genny Mayhew and the reigning ACC Player of the Week, freshman outside hitter Lane Carico, each recorded double-doubles in kills and digs. Mayhew had 18 kills and 13 digs while Carico tallied 21 kills and 12 digs.

The Hurricanes tried to carry the momentum from Thursday night into Friday’s match in Winston-Salem, but it was to no avail.

Miami was swept 25-19, 25-22 and 25-21. It was the first time all season the Canes lost the second set of a match.

The difference in the match was in kills and assists. The Demon Deacons had 12 more kills and 14 more assists than the Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes kill percentage was the lowest of the season (.114), and they committed their highest amount of errors (18) in a three set match since the season opener against Sacramento State.

Carico played strong in a losing effort. She recorded her fifth straight double-double and seventh overall.

The Hurricanes will look to start a new win streak next weekend when they conclude their five game road trip, as they travel to South Carolina to face Clemson on Friday and Atlanta the following night to take on Georgia Tech. First serve will be at 7 p.m.

Justin Antweil

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...