Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Hurricane donation drive at Dolphin Stadium

University of Miami fans attending the football games on Sept. 27 against North Carolina and Oct. 4 against Florida State University are urged to drop off non-perishable canned food and clothing items at the stadium for Caribbean victims of Hurricane Ike, Gustav and Hanna.

All items collected will be distributed by the City of Miami and the Carma Foundation, led by Milky Jean, sister of award-winning recording artist Wyclef Jean.

VOLLEYBALL

Carico named ACC Player of the Week

Freshman Lane Carico earned the honor of ACC Player of the Week Monday after leading the Canes to victories against Florida State and Florida Atlantic this past weekend.

Carico recorded 28 kills and 26 digs, one service ace, four blocks and posted a .356 hitting percentage.

On the year, the 5’11” outside hitter has a team-best five double-doubles as Miami rides a 14-match winning streak.

TRACK/FIELD

Robinson new associate track coach

Calvin Robinson was named associate track coach for jump and multi-events at the University of Miami by Amy Deem, director of track and field and cross country.

Robinson, who was named the 2008 USTFCCCA Mountain Region Women’s Assistant Coach of the Year, held the same position for four years at UTEP, where he coached 16 All-Americans.

BASEBALL

Recruiting class ranked seventh

The University of Miami’s 13-member signing class was ranked seventh nationally by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper.

Five pitchers and eight position players, 10 of which hail from Florida, will look to make an immediate impact for the Hurricanes, who lost eight in the 2008 MLB Draft.

Arizona State earned the top ranking for its 20-player class.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...