Politics: On the trail

In 2005, a Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac reform bill was passed by the Senate Banking Committee, according to commentary by Kevin Hassett, director of economic policy studies and an advisor to Senator John McCain, on Bloomberg.com

The bill gave a regulator power to crack down, and would have required the companies to eliminate their investments in risky assets. However, Democrats opposed it on a party-line vote in the committee. Hassett believes Democrats created today’s financial crisis.

Senator Barack Obama now has new Spanish-language ads in Florida and other states. The ads will focus on the economy.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...