Paths to Victory Part III: The ‘First Five’

There are ten states that may be classified as “toss-up states”. It is nearly impossible to make completely accurate predictions concerning these ten states. Five of these ten states are within 2% points according to realclearpolitics.com and may be referred to as the “Final Five.” The other five may be referred to as the “First Five.”

The First Five comprises Florida (27), Pennsylvania (21), Michigan (17), Indiana (11) and New Mexico (5). The First Five will be hotly contested and will see much campaigning.

In recent history, the most controversial of these states is Florida. McCain is currently leading in Florida by an average of 3% points and also has history on his side. In 2000, Bush won the state of Florida in an incredibly contentious election. The bad news for the Obama campaign is that Bush extended his margin of victory in Florida in the 2004 election. Currently, McCain is the favorite in this state.

The most important of these states to Democrats is Pennsylvania. Obama is currently in the lead in Pennsylvania by an average of 4.7% points. In the last two elections Pennsylvania has voted Democratic and the state seems to favor Obama. If the Democrats should lose this state, a victory for the Republicans is almost guaranteed.

Another remarkably important state for Democrats is Michigan. Michigan has voted for Democrats in the last two general elections and Obama currently leads by an average of 2.8% points. Michigan is crucial to a Democratic victory and without it chances for the Democrats would seem slim.

New Mexico is another state that is currently leaning towards Obama. Obama currently leads in New Mexico by an average of 4.3% points. New Mexico was won by Al Gore in 2000, but also won by Bush in 2004. Both victories were by narrow margins and the state is hotly contested once again.

Indiana is a state that the Obama campaign has hoped to steal from the Republicans. However, McCain is leading in the state by an average of 4.7% points. Indiana has gone strongly Republican in the last two elections and it seems as though the state favors McCain.

If we allocate the electoral votes to the candidates that are leading in the particular First Five states, Obama continues to lead with 260 electoral votes to McCain’s 227.

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Paths to Victory Part III: The ‘First Five’”

1. Laura says:

The turnout rate among the youngest voters will probably decide this election this year. Here is a link to a helpful voting website:

http://www.voteforchange.com

In about about 3 minutes, you can
    1. Register to vote or
    2. Request to vote absentee or
    3. Find your polling location.

And I just saw this article on McCain and the DRAFT!!!
    The following exchange is from a townhall meeting in New Mexico on August 20, 2008. At this townhall meeting, an audience member praised Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) for his vow to follow bin Laden to the gates of hell. After a long question about veterans’ care, the questioner said she believed we needed to reinstate the draft, to which McCain seemed to readily agree:

QUESTIONER: If we don’t reenact the draft, I don’t think we’ll have anyone to chase Bin Laden to the gates of hell.

[Appaluse]

MCCAIN: Ma’am, let me say that I don’t disagree with anything you said.

This is a big issue for me. And just how large a military does he want to build? His two sons are in the military and Palin’s 18 year old just went overseas. I think that may be a good indicator of what they want for the rest of us, too. Scary!

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...